The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im from the uk and I noticed a lot of people on here from the states canada and oz mention cross tying

when i groom a horse they tend to be tied by one rope to the tie attatched to the tie ring on the wall somtimes with a haynet so they can have a munch.

is this much different to what others do? if you tie up differently why do you do it that way?? just after some thoughts

·
Registered
513 Posts
I personally don't cross tie. I made sure my horse knows how because well, you just never know and the more they know the better right?

I either ground tie (drop the leadrope on the ground, it isn't actually tied to anything) when I'm at home or straight tie, as you described above.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats brill that you can just drop the rope and the horse is happy i think J would be too but dont know about the other liveries.

so am i right in thinking cross tying means the horses head is tied from both sides and they cant moves?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Cross tieing means the horse is attached to the walls at both sides of their head. They can move their hind in quite a bit but the front end is much less moble. I usually either cross tie or work with him in his stall.

·
Banned
629 Posts
I crosstie simply because of how my barn is set up. The horse stands pretty much smack dab in the middle. Gives me plenty of room all around him to work. I could single tie him, but then I'd have to walk around his hind end to get to the other side, or walk under his neck. I like to have lots of room to work, and I'm just not as eager to be bending and walking under necks as I used to.

You can also ground tie which eliminates having to duck under the neck if you've ground tied in an open area, but there's a greater risk that must be taken then, particularly if it's a busy barn. The horse has to be better trained in this instance.

A lot to times I don't even attach the crossties. The horse just stands there between them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts