The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that I need to get a crusader fly mask for my new horse because he is gray and has a pink nose...can anyone tell me about them?

·
Registered
23,909 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I love the long nose Cashel flymasks. I have one for my mare because she gets very sensitive on her nose in the summer. Great buy!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor guy I think he will look funny with that long nose fly mask on, but if it keeps his schnozz from getting burnt it is definitely worth it. Someone should look into customizing them so they're not so darn ugly!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got a white faced horse this winter and have already purchased that long nose crusader. So while I haven't used it yet, I know it's the way to go ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I bought the long nosed Cashel Crusader fly mask with no ears for my girl and we love it! It took a few days for her to get used to it and now it's no problem to put on and off. Oftentimes her sunscreen wore off during the weekends when I was unable to go out to see her and the fly mask has solved that problem. On the first weekend that she wore it, she magially got out of it. No idea how she did it as it was still velcroed and didn't have a mark on it... But there have been no incidents since then. All I have to do is brush it off with a stiff brush after she uses it and we're good to go. It's totally worth it.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Poor guy I think he will look funny with that long nose fly mask on, but if it keeps his schnozz from getting burnt it is definitely worth it. Someone should look into customizing them so they're not so darn ugly!
Actually I think Kiara looks cute in it. And I remember Dover selling those pink ones - they were very nice looking, but I couldn't find one without the ears. Oh, btw, the one without the ears stays on my horse MUCH better then the one with.

I think your horse definitely needs the long one. His nose will be red in no time under the sun.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
They do work really well to keep a white face from getting all crispy with sun burn - if the horse leaves them on. And I agree, it seems to be a little more of a challenge to get the model with out ears off than the model with ears.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I got the crusader long nosed model with ears for my mare. Her nose and around her eyes would burn in the sun, but as long as she wore the mask, she was alright. I ended up having to buy a two while I had her, she tore her first one the first summer, but the second one lasted several years.

I took a bunch of photos of her, cause she looked so cute and funny, but they are all on my home computer. She was frequently compared to Darth Vader.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I was told I should get the one with the ears, to help with the flies...maybe I should get one with and one without and see which works better?

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Well I was told I should get the one with the ears, to help with the flies...maybe I should get one with and one without and see which works better?
I'd say try both and see which one works for you the best.

Not all horses like the one with ears. :) My qh completely hates it (as well as long nose on mask). My paint is OK but she looks more happy in one without the ears. It also holds on much better and one of the problems Kiara's ears in one with ears are often pretty sweaty when it's really hot outside. But again, you just never know, I know some people always go with the eared one.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got one today, with the ears. One of the girls at the barn was saying that she got her horse one with the ears and had no problems with it....I figured better safe than sorry, don't want his ears getting eaten up by bugs. I needed help putting it on though because he didn't understand why I was trying to cover up his eyes but he seems to take well to it once it was on. It was funny at first because he was doing this weird snorty thing like the long nose on it was tickling his nose

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh for crying out loud! It's gone...GONE! I put it on him on wednesday and here it is sunday and i went out and it was no where to be found. He is 'pasture boarded' so I looked all over the pasture, but it isn't there. I found another horses though! I was wondering if there was any reason why I couldn't 'customize' one and sew a buckle strap around it where the velcro is so that it will stay?

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
That's the reason I don't like the one with ears. It's really easy to come off. Not like mine tries to get rid of it - I saw it slides off when she rolls hard. :) I'm sure it's on pasture somewhere - just keep looking and you'll run into it. You can sew on something very bright (like pink or yellow) on both sides so you could find it more easily.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whew! False alarm. The B/O took it off and put it up in the barn because it was windy and rainy and she didn't want it to blow off and be gone (like I thought it was)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, he finally destroyed it. It was continually coming off anyway but if someone saw it off they would put it back on him. Til he got wise and saw them coming with it and trot off so they couldn't get to him. I went to put it on a couple days ago and noticed the nose piece was torn on one side. Then a couple days later went out and it was completely ripped off. Soo I have to get another one. I think I'll get one without the ears this time just to see if it lasts longer. Another girl at the barn said they have them with 2 velcro closures that help keep it on, but I can't find it online. I found one other one, it was a 'kensington' but GAWD it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen!
Kensington Bug Eye™ Fly Mask with Ears and Removable Nose - Fly Mask w/ Ears
Do you think it would be safe to leave a halter on Iceman OVER the cashel fly mask to help keep it on?

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Breakaway halter - yes. I know some people do it to keep the mask on. It's interesting though. I have same mask for 2nd season already. I really advice to go with the one without the ears. One with ears my paint looses every single day. The one without stays on for the whole day (I take it off for the night).

I like Kensington (the fact it's plaid :) ), but they are more expensive. So I just go with cheaper Cashel.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I don't have experience with the long nose Cashel, but I just bought one with ears for my yearling filly - she hasn't lost it yet (although it's only been a week).
Here she is - I HAD to get her the pink one :)
aa.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.