The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Same bit same curb chain and it's never been an issue. It's only effecting one side of his mouth.

Been riding him in same bit all summer. He had today off so his mouth could heal up.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Doesn't look like a curb chain sore to me. Do you have a picture of the bit in his mouth and how it sits?

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
How old is your horse?

The reason I ask is that this looks like a sore from a too-tight bit, not from a curb chain. I see them all the time unfortunately. It's possible, if your horse is young, that the bit that fit him all this time no longer fits. A bigger size would fix that.

Or it could be from a sliding cheekpiece pinching (ie Jr Cowhorse, universal gag, dutch gag, loose ring snaffle, that kind of thing). A bigger size would help with that, and/or gel bit guards (the kind that go inside the lip and stop the lip from making any contact with the cheekpiece at all).

The other potential cause for a lip sore like that is an abrasive mouthpiece + unsteady hands or rough handling.

A curb chain doesn't cause sores in this location.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's 5 years old shanks are solid so nothing to pinch. No rough handling going on.

He's has very sensitive mouth if your hands aren't quiet. He gets fired up and wants to go fast.

I'll have to check out how it's fitting tommorow. Don't think it's to narrow but could be wrong. If it was you'd think both sides of mouth would have sores. Only one side has a sore.

No pictures of bit in his mouth.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
5 is definitely young enough and old enough for fit to have become an issue when it wasn't before, and it isn't always both sides!

·
Super Moderator
14,695 Posts
Ramboo look super close at that chain buckle...
I see a bunch of hair buildup and residue of something right about the exact spot as that sore..
I think it is the stitching and buckle area...plastic stitching is common cause it not rot with saliva which is actually caustic a enzyme.
Run and rub gently your finger over that stitch area and see if you can feel anything.
The lips and lower jaw area of a horse are more sensitive than may realize and something so small it could be missed, well whatever it is it was missed and created a ouch for Ice.
I might be very tempted to switch out that curb chain for a English style one and the hooks to hold the chain in position...see if it helps. The 3rd picture is what I was thinking..

Or, there are other style of western curb and I would ditch that nylon synthetic and actually do something more like the teal chain shows...a solid, no seam to aggravate or rub that skin...or the second picture of the leather strap curb chain is exactly what I was trying to describe.
How about pictures for better idea.. :wink:

These products all came from Chick Saddlery or Smartpak so reputable companies many have dealings with..

Just what I saw and think might fix your situation to consider...or try some mole skin wrapped around that stitched area and see if it helps...again being super diligent to keep debris from accumulating to that mole skin.
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

Reactions: boots

·
Super Moderator
14,695 Posts
There also right next to the bit a dark spot..
Again about the location of that sore...
Is it possibly a piece of a thorn poking the skin??
Or is it a knot of threads that with use have come to the surface and now bother that mouth skin?
:runninghorse2:...

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Looks like the left side of your bit is bent outwards where the headstall attaches. Feel along the inside of it and see if that bend is creating a crease or ledge that could be rubbing.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bit where bridle attaches is curved out no sharp edges there. Nothing sharp on bit itself poking into horse.

I switched curb chains today will see what happens. Whatever is causing sore isn't effecting him while being ridden. Curb chain I switched to is leather ends with double chain in middle.

Other one was nylon with the chain in middle.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Just a thought....
I screenshot the picture of your bit and circled. Looks like your horse is packing his bit closer to the left than the right.
It's hard to tell in the picture but is the cheek piece shinier on the left?
I have a horse that does this however it has never caused a cherry. One thing I found that helps is what type of headstall I use. Because his head is not perfectly symmetrical the cutout style one eared headstalls tend to exaggerate the issue. A split ear or sliding ear is more forgiving. It doesn't completely solve the problem but it helps and you tell by the wear on the inside of the cheek pieces where the cannon bar attaches.

Attachments

Reactions: rambo99

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@COWCHICK77. Don't know if left check peice is shinner. Will have to take a good look at it tomorrow.

Headstall I'm using adjust from both sides. Not sure if that would make a difference or not. Rode him in his twisted wire O-ring bit today.

Do have a one ear headstall not the sliding one though. I'll put curb bit on that headstall an see if it helps or not.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Who knows if it will help you, just thought I'd throw it out there because the style of headstall and even the style of one eared makes a difference on my bay horse.

Reactions: rambo99

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who knows if it will help you, just thought I'd throw it out there because the style of headstall and even the style of one eared makes a difference on my bay horse.
I'm glad you posted it I never would of thought of it. It just might make a difference for ice. Worth a try got nothing to lose by switching headstalls.

Did look at bit does appear left side of cheek peice is a bit shinner. Could be it's always been that way. Or it's a new ocurance. Will give the one eared headstall a try today ,see if he doesn't get rubbed raw or not.

Will report back after ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts