The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's an ad for a stallion on my local CL and I'm curious about something.

He is a cremello, which is chestnut with two cream genes. They are claiming that he is a guaranteed color producer and that you won't get any chestnuts/sorrels or bays out of him. I would think that ending up with a dilute would depend on the cream status of the mare, wouldn't it? There are some (really bad) pics of some of his progeny and there are a chestnut pinto and a brown/black pinto pictured first. Which totally negates their claims of guaranteed color.

I'm just confused by their claims versus the pics.

Here's the ad, so you can see what I'm talking about:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/grd/4079310420.html

**Note: I am not in any way making fun of the ad, the people posting the ad, or the horse (although other than his color, I see absolutely no reason why he should still have his jewels). I'm simply curious about the seller's claims and the genetics involved.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
It is true that he will never produce a chestnut or bay foal. He can however produce palomino, buckskin and smokey black (if he carries the gene for black)

The chestnut foal your seeing, is palomino. Its the same horse as one of the other pictures...with the saddle on. OK at the markings, they are the same. Many palominos are born very red.

I suspect the bay foal you see, is actually smokey black. But the picture is horrible, so its impossible to tell.

A double dilute cannot produce a red/bay foal because the foal will always inherit one cream gene. Red+cream is always palomino. Bay+cream is buckskin. Black+cream is smokey black. So yes, you will always be 'guaranteed' some color...

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. That makes sense. After I posted the thread, I thought about it a little more and popped a quick punnet square and realized the answer. In order to be cremello, he'd have to be homozygous for cream, which would mean he would always pass on a Cr gene, regardless of the color of the mare. Duh, Paige. *facepalm*

I'm on my phone, so the pics were pretty difficult to judge anything from, other than that both of those foals didn't look like dilutes. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Chiilaa

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Plenty of palomino foals are born a very cherry color and lighten up. He's clearly a double dilute and if that foal did not carry cream, I'd want to see a DNA test immediately after a cream test. The other foal looks smoky black or smoky brown.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.