The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not a color genetic knowledgeable person by any means, but so many on here are! I’ve been calling this mare a grulla, but I’m curious as to what you would say she is. She is a bit lighter fully shedded out.
Sky Horse Plant Fence Cloud
Plant Elephant Working animal Elephants and Mammoths Terrestrial animal
Horse Eye Plant Sky Grass
Working animal Fence Mammal Horse Plant

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Thank you @Caledonian! I’ve gone so back and forth. She has a lot of gold to her in the summer. Upside down she is white. Lol
I'm guessing knave and our colour lables are very different over here, so I always hesitate to say anything about colours. Plus, they're not my strong suit!

She doesn't have the mealy nose, or around the eyes, but we had a similar colour in the yard for a time and he was described as mealy brown.

We've a huge number of grulla/o (mouse) thanks to our natives though, and I wouldn't say that she's one.

:ROFLMAO:Upside down 😆

·
Registered
Horse loving mama
699 Posts
From your first picture I saw a dark bay with dapples then the other pictures I see like a sooty Buckskin, then I see a Sabino, So I am of no help, lol. But I think shes a pretty horse no matter the color. :love: But, I just dont see a grulla.:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank all of you so much! I think her color is interesting at least. I had a big fear she would grey out, but I haven’t seen that. She is only two, so I guess she still could, but I sure hope not, just because I like her coloring.

Reactions: My Salty Pony

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked up grulla horses. Yes, I definitely was wrong there! Lol. I see the sooty buckskin when I looked that up, and definitely she looks just brown in winter. I think I thought a grulla was a sooty buckskin. I guess I’ve never seen one!

·
Registered
Horse loving mama
699 Posts
The 1st and 2nd picture says to me a sooty buckskin(maybe a dark bay with dapples?) and the 3rd picture with how the markings/pattern is on her back legs look like a sabino's pattern and then the pattern on her heart girth's underside looks sabino too. Oh well it was fun trying to decide on color, lol..

• Haha
Reactions: Knave

·
Super Moderator
15,034 Posts
I'd think the ticking is from sabino. Could be grey though. It starts around the face and flanks first. If it continues its also grey added to the mix. If sabino then it'll remain as is.

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@QtrBel it isn’t any more than last year, and I don’t see any of it on her face at all, so I would assume not grey then correct?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I think I thought a grulla was a sooty buckskin. I guess I’ve never seen one!
You’ve seen this one ;)
Horse Window Working animal Liver Wood

As you know, she goes fully golden most of the year, except in the late spring when she is nearly black. This is probably about as black as she gets, but still has that golden around her muzzle. It will be interesting to see if Queen lightens up this spring!

Queen’s little white patches under her belly are so distinctive! Does she keep them all year?

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So is she a grulla and not a sooty buckskin @egrogan? I’m getting confused again. I figure Queen is the same color as Fizz.

They get more distinctive in summer, and spotty, but I think they just blend in more in winter when she’s got so much long hair. She is like a stuffed animal in wintertime. You can see all the cool spots come summer. She has spots under her chin and her whole belly, like an upside down appy! Lol

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Fizz is sooty buckskin. I'm going with Queen is sooty also with sabino.

These two horses are grulla. They have grayish tones. You can't see in the photos but they also have dun factors, dorsal stripes and zebra barring on the legs, dark line shading over the shoulders. If you look closely you can see the dun factors on this one's back legs.
Horse Plant Tree Working animal Liver

In this one you can lightly see the dark lines over the withers.
Horse Working animal Liver Horse supplies Horse tack

In the summer they look lighter, and in the winter dark grayish.
Horse Working animal Liver Horse supplies Bridle

·
Super Moderator
15,034 Posts
Notice the faces on the above. Sooty will cover to varying degrees but the muzzle on a buckskin as well as the soft points tend to stay buckskin. Dun comes with a mask and the face on a black dun (grulla) remains dark at the muzzle.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts