The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a custom saddle made for Soda. But..... Doesn't the saddle fit change with weight, muscling, etc? So would I be paying a lot of money for a saddle that may not even fit him and that I might have difficulty re-selling?

Thanks.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I think most good name custom saddles have a good resale value just because of their quality.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose, I didn't really think of that. Was assuming that if it was custom fit to him it may not fit other horses as well...

LOL, maybe I should stop posting until I'm not so foggy, eh? :D At least then I'd be able to think logically!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Yes to all questions. If you buy a saddle that has the correct bars and is made well then it will fit not only Soda but any other horse of the same basic shape that you happen to own. If you ride English then it may be different. A good custom saddle should outlast many horses.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my time and money is better spent finding a correctly fitted well-made saddle for him instead of dealing with the whole "custom made" thing. Cool. I have an old Bob Marshall Treeless, but I'm not sure how I like it for him. It's pretty worn and I'm concerned that it might be causing some back issues.

I do ride western right now. Well I have a western saddle anyways. Trained english, so I'm trying to figure out what the real differences are (besides the whole, neck rein, direct rein issue). That's a whole nother thread though! Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Your money is not wasted on a custom saddle. Custom saddles are generally built with more care and precision than factory saddles and you can also get them built to your specifications. It's only a waste of money if you have it built to exactly fit your horse.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
Your money is not wasted on a custom saddle. Custom saddles are generally built with more care and precision than factory saddles and you can also get them built to your specifications. It's only a waste of money if you have it built to exactly fit your horse.
Exactly, Custom does not always mean expensive, it also means Choice of Colors, Special Tooling, Seat Sizes, Adding you Name or Initials, not just Tree Size. Many times Custom will mean tree size, sometimes someone wants a Wade Saddle for a Draft Horse, you would never find that combo from a Production Saddle Co.

Off the shelf Saddles do not have those choices and many times an off the shelf production Saddle may only come in a 15" or 16" Seat and that may not be the size you need.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose it would be added impetous to keep my butt from getting bigger :D

I'll have to do some research on different saddles and saddle fit before I decide what to do, but I appreciate all the responses.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I know... I'm getting to the point where I actually have to work on keeping it the same size. Gone are the days where I could eat anything and everything.... LOL

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Instead of trying to say anything I'm just going to *open mouth, insert foot, and proceed to knee* My specialty :D

At least it saves me the trouble of having to apologize! :D

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Giggle.

Nothing to apologize for.

It is not your fault some of us were not born with genes that allow us to enjoy the finer things in life. Like Oreo cookies dipped in peanut butter, drool.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Omigod..... I have NEVER thought of that. Now I have to try it. Num..

Just what I need. Another food that I love (more than likely, that's right up my alley) that I have to limit.

Thanks. Really :evil:

Why didn't anyone tell me about this when I was 25????? :lol: I better re-up on that gym membership or maybe just re-build the fence by myself this year! :lol:

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
They are good. One of those good (in a way) things I learned from my older brother. Big brothers are good for something when they are not beating you up and telling you that you are ugly and getting you in trouble. :wink:

And for those warmer days just take the home made chocolate chip cookies and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream between two of them.

I will eat my celery sticks now...yum. Celery.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah. Celery. Nummy. I just finished my salad. It was wonderful. Yup. Lettuce is my favorite. (can you feel the sarcasm? :D)

Wonder if the gas station has oreos?

I see you had a big brother like mine. :D At least my brother and I get along now. When we were kids it was a constant battle.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Wonder if the gas station has oreos?
Bet they do!
And do not use the good for you natural peanut butter stuff. Nope. This delicacy requires the bad for Skippy or Jiff stuff.
I personally prefer the crunchy.

I see you had a big brother like mine. :D At least my brother and I get along now. When we were kids it was a constant battle.
Sounds like our relationship. He has hit 50 and I am just behind him. We get along much better now.

And what this had to do with saddle buying who knows. :lol:

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gotcha on the Jiff (I love that stuff). I can never pick between crunchy/creamy so I alternate. :D

My brother and I are very close in age too. When we were little we got along great, then we were mortal enemies for our teen years, now we're getting close to 30 and get along pretty well. I think it'll just get better.

And yes, this has nothing to do with saddles, but at least I found some new junk foods to try. I think my man-creature will appreciate that too. Although he probably won't appreciate the extra "padding" that comes with it! :lol:

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Man creatures pull off extra padding far better than us women folk do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.