The Horse Forum banner

Cutting, cowhorse and reining saddles for a short backed horse

2556 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  cassidysk
Hi!

I have a tiny reining bred AQHA mare that I am looking for a saddle for.
She is pretty short backed and I find its hard to find anything with a shorter skirt- I am open to cutting, reining, cow horse or even roping saddles for her!

There is not a lot of info on these saddles and how they fit! I currently ride in a crates Reiner but would like to upgrade to something with a shorter skirt more suitable to her. A nice open shoulder is also very important for this mare.

***Yes, I know that there is a lot more to saddle fitting than that! I have a wonderful saddle fitter to help, but need some ideas of brands/models to start looking at.

Martin? Roohide? Bobs??

(picture attached just for fun :))

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
8,070 Posts
Martin Futurity saddle. They are made for the short backed horses.

I rarely see them used but every once in a while they pop up. Or if you have the cash you can go new.

· Registered
504 Posts
I definitely recommend a Corriente Wade saddle. I use one on my 14.3hh tank of a Driftwood mare. It also fits our 13.2/13.3hh Poco Bueno mare beautifully and she's a real pain to fit with a really short back and long sloping shoulder. You can get rounded skirts or square skirts (I have square) and they are much more budget-friendly than some brands even brand new. You don't find them used very often.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely recommend a Corriente Wade saddle. I use one on my 14.3hh tank of a Driftwood mare. It also fits our 13.2/13.3hh Poco Bueno mare beautifully and she's a real pain to fit with a really short back and long sloping shoulder. You can get rounded skirts or square skirts (I have square) and they are much more budget-friendly than some brands even brand new. You don't find them used very often.

I have thought about that! I tried one on her and she did not like it, but she has since grown and changed a bit. I do like the price! And I have heard they are decent quality for the cost.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Martin Futurity saddle. They are made for the short backed horses.

I rarely see them used but every once in a while they pop up. Or if you have the cash you can go new.
Thanks! I really like Martins especially with the multiple rigging options they usually offer. Budget is a bit of an issue, but at the same time you cant put a price on your horses comfort and performance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.