The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse is between sizes (3 and 4) in CWD breastplate, which size should I get? He is about 175cm high and my current breastplate is about 160cm long measured from girth over the breast to the girth on the other side of the horse, 68cm measured from girth, between the frontlegs, to the center of the breast.

And does anyone know the difference between raised breastplate and the normal one? Thank you to everyone who helps me!

Super Moderator
So... this is a adjustable breastplate.
If you go with the smaller size, is there enough extra strap length to lengthen if the horse broadens and deepens their build more? To enlarge it?
If you go with the larger size, can you adjust the straps smaller so the fit is correct?
That is what you need to know..
I looked and did not see a "from this size to this" for breastplates, but may have missed it.

As for raised or normal...
Normally tack referred to as raised bridle or tack piece can be square or round raised...
It has a fancier look to it but offers nothing better or worse than just appearance.
If you have a adjustable strap breastplate my thought would be what is raised cause nearly every strap needs to move and slide to get a exacting correct fit.
In a bridle, often raised is a conventional caveson {noseband} and the browband.
Today some headstall pieces may be padded/raised suggesting "comfort", that I am unsure is actually true for the animal.
A regular breastplate would be flat leather straps used.
No bulking of any of the straps...no padding.

Now, some tack is considered raised I saw on the CWD company website because they were 2-thicknesses molded together, one of those thicknesses was rubber rein material...that to me is not raised but ...not sure what it would be called actually.
Raised vs. Normal... I know its a bridle but it shows a raised noseband and flat strap "normal" around the mouth/muzzle.
1606595824091.png This is from Dover Saddlery just for example so you have a visual idea of what I tired to describe.
Hope that helps.
馃惔...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply!

The size guide in CWD website says that size 3 is for horses that are 165-175cm high and size 4 for horses over 175cm. So I was wondering the same thing; whether the smaller one is big enough or the bigger one small enough. I hoped maybe someone with a CWD breastplate would've known if they are small or big sizing.

You descriped the raised vs. normal breastplate really well, thank you! They both cost the same amount so I think I'll go with the raised one :)

Super Moderator
If you go with raised, make sure where the raised is you can put a leather punch to make more adjustment holes if needed.
Before purchasing I would probably reach out to the customer service department of whatever store or online catalog you plan to buy this at for a really good answer of what build and sized horses each size fits normally.
CS reps might have really good fit information from hands-on knowledge they have that just is not in print seen..
You can take a cloth/flexible tape measure and measure your horses build where some of those straps will be for a better guesstimate too.
Happy shopping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts