The Horse Forum banner

Dairy beef cross.

430 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  LooneyTickAcres
hi all!

I’m making this thread for a friend :)

im wondering if you can show a dairy/beef cross? ((Jersey/simmental cross) I just bred my jersey to a simmental, and it would be born at just the right time for her to show at 4H, and since it would be her last year to do 4H, she wanted to do a steer/heifer.
Our 4H is really small so it only has a beef category and not a diary..
(my friend also contacted someone with 4H to see, but she hasn’t responded, but we were just curious)
I wouldn’t think you could do a diary beef cross, but that’s just me.
Also another question:
Have y’all showed steers/heifers before? Do you really have to buy one that’s 3k?
or can you just get a cheap beef bull that someone doesn’t want and castrate it and then just blow it, wash it etc everyday? and turn it into a show cow? Or do you have to have one with the actual show cow genes?😅
Sorry for all the questions, but since 4H beef isn’t big around here, we can’t find much out.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
8,229 Posts
I think you can around here.

My girls showed steers. We took middle grade steers from the ranch calves at weaning time. You don’t want the biggest, because they feed out too high. You look at the calves carefully, and find something that fits in the line for what sells high where you are. Here one wants angus, blocky, short legged things.

The people who do the best feed more grain than you can imagine. We only fed about 6#s per day per calf, and quality alfalfa. The girls did well, but not grand champions. Second and third I believe.

I didn’t like it at all, if I’m honest, but some people love it. To me, it took a lot of time, and my girls were so little that they needed a ton of help with halter breaking and handling. It took away from riding for sure, and the paperwork is kind of killer. I also didn’t love meetings. Lol

Reactions: baysfordays

· Premium Member
8,229 Posts
Also, there is a rule about when it is purchased. So, we had to pull the calves right at weaning time. They have a date you have to have the leader come and check them to prove they were in ownership.

Reactions: baysfordays

· Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you can around here.

My girls showed steers. We took middle grade steers from the ranch calves at weaning time. You don’t want the biggest, because they feed out too high. You look at the calves carefully, and find something that fits in the line for what sells high where you are. Here one wants angus, blocky, short legged things.

The people who do the best feed more grain than you can imagine. We only fed about 6#s per day per calf, and quality alfalfa. The girls did well, but not grand champions. Second and third I believe.

I didn’t like it at all, if I’m honest, but some people love it. To me, it took a lot of time, and my girls were so little that they needed a ton of help with halter breaking and handling. It took away from riding for sure, and the paperwork is kind of killer. I also didn’t love meetings. Lol
Thank you!
yeah I did the pony/horse club years ago and I hated the meetings! I always wanted to do steers and wish I could have! Though I think around here it goes up till 19 so I could have this year 😅. But it does take a lot of time I heard😬

· Registered
4,136 Posts
My kids showed dairy/cross steers for many years. Most raised from bottle calves. They showed in the cross bred and market classes. We had a registered Ayershire as well. These calves are harder to bulk up because of their dairy heritage - that is why we always preferred holstein crosses -they got big and bulky and did well in the market classes.

· Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My kids showed dairy/cross steers for many years. Most raised from bottle calves. They showed in the cross bred and market classes. We had a registered Ayershire as well. These calves are harder to bulk up because of their dairy heritage - that is why we always preferred holstein crosses -they got big and bulky and did well in the market classes.
Thanks!! Our jersey is FAT..she actually looks like a beef cow which is kinda concerning, even with just pasture and hay (I guess it’s in her genes) lol so I think it would be easy.

· Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,792 Posts
Thank you!
yeah I did the pony/horse club years ago and I hated the meetings! I always wanted to do steers and wish I could have! Though I think around here it goes up till 19 so I could have this year 😅. But it does take a lot of time I heard😬
Wow you are 18 I thought you were at least in your late 20's or early 30's. LOL :D

· Premium Member
Gracie, Lily, Chewy, Sam, Jack and Bill
200 Posts
The main thing would be to speak to the folks at your local fairgrounds livestock department and/or a 4-h leader. ( it sounds as if you have reached out and are awaiting a response ) Every fair is different. I would think if your calf ends up taking after it beef sire, you wouldn’t have any problem, so long as all the other requirements are met. Some fairs require calves be purchased from only certain breeders, or within a certain county, etc. It will also depend on if the calf is going to be shown for showmanship or breeding project vs showing as an auction/slaughter project. It definitely goes beyond just being born in a specific time frame. There’s a whole list of rules and regulations that will vary from fair to fair.
As for having to spend a certain amount… again…that will depend on your fair and what regulations are in place. Many fairs put a cap on the purchase price ( although that could easily be forged I would imagine) I worked for a livestock department in Southern California many years ago, and they had to make rules that limited purchase price to $1000 max and it had to be bred in county…. there were several years prior where a few wealthy families were purchasing high dollar calves out of show stock in the Midwest and the quality just didn’t compare to anything else around…it basically wasn’t a fair competition, especially for all the naive and less fortunate city kids who didn’t have much knowledge, variety or finances to even come close to the level of those few. It didn’t stop them from winning showmanship classes of course, but the market division was way out of reach!
Regardless of rules, lots of walking, washing, blocking, clipping, feeding, practice, practice, practice! Lol! You’ll have to share pics if/when the time comes!

I grew up showing registered Angus show cattle. I also showed 4-H. My dad, grand dad and great grand dad had all raised and shown cattle and became judges as well. It’s been many, many years since I was involved in that aspect. Now I just have a few mid sized mini cows for hobby. I just love cows!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts