The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the market for a used barrel saddle. I don’t have a lot of money to spend on one, I just need something that will last me at least 2 years so I can save money for a better one. I don’t have a saddle right now so I’m literally only riding bareback because the tree on my old saddle broke. I have found 2 Dakota saddles and a couple Circle Y saddles. I have heard good and bad about the Circle Ys. I would be only considering the Dakota, but it has a full skirt and those are not my favorite, and the other is black, which I’m also not a huge fan of. The Circle Y does not have a full skirt and is the color I want. But if there is a considerable difference in quality then I’m not worried about color or skirt. I’ve also found a Circle S that is beautiful, but I don’t know anything about the brand. Any helpful suggestions? They are all about the same price.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've owned several Circle Y saddles and I have been very pleased with them. They fit my horses and are very comfortable. I think they are quality saddles. I don't have any knowledge of the Dakota or Circle S saddles.

·
Super Moderator
14,695 Posts
I found a review for a Dakota barrel saddle, no way of knowing if the same model, same manufacturing date, but a review...
http://www.horsetackreview.com/review-display.php?ID=582

I also found you a list of reviews of many manufacturers of barrel saddles so you can read and see what others had to say...
http://www.horsetackreview.com/products.php?Category=Barrel Saddles

Now for me, a older barrel saddle made by Circle Y would be where I would spend my money as I like the quality in their older tack very much.
Much though has to do with it must fit horse first and foremost, then a good saddle with years left of use is a must.
Fit the horse as perfect as possible so performance and comfort for the horse are #1...
Fit the rider so you can be a partner and ride with not against the saddle....

Most barrel saddles I've seen have rounded skirts and are lighter weight.
I would steer clear of the off-brands as often they use cheaper materials, hence cheaper saddles that may not stand up to rigors of riding as well.

Enjoy the search.
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
In my area Dakota saddles are known as cheap saddles and don't bring much at all. A used Circle Y still bring pretty good money - we have owned several Circle Y's over the years and love them - only owned 1 Dakota and sold it very soon after we purchased it. It was stiff and did not fit our horse well.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
An older Circle Y that has been well-cared-for is a far better saddle. Dakotas are cheap and won't last long. The leather is stiff and they don't fit a lot of horses. Not something I'd consider for a saddle being used frequently. Circle S is another low-end saddle similar to Dakota. Not something I'd consider.

That being said, your saddle must fit your horse. The best saddle in the world isn't going to work if it doesn't. However, a Circle Y will be an easier resale/trade for a saddle that fits than a Dakota would.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I’m in the market for a used barrel saddle. I don’t have a lot of money to spend on one, I just need something that will last me at least 2 years so I can save money for a better one.
Howdy Sassy ! How much are you planning on spending ? What one person considers a lot of money might be a different fiqure or number to someone else ....
Also lots of other very good brands out there , as you are probably aware . Maybe a HF member see"s your price range thoughts and will sell you a great saddle if you both agree on "lot of money" price ???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Howdy Sassy ! How much are you planning on spending ? What one person considers a lot of money might be a different fiqure or number to someone else ....
Also lots of other very good brands out there , as you are probably aware . Maybe a HF member see"s your price range thoughts and will sell you a great saddle if you both agree on "lot of money" price ???
The hightest I can go is $400. And I cringe a little at that number. I would need a 15-16 inch. I do have a 16” ropers saddle for sale or trade. It doesn’t have a makers mark, but it’s in pretty decent condition. I can’t ride in it because the fenders are too long for my short legs lol. That and I don’t rope😂

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
You should be able to find a good used saddle in that price range, especially in a barrel saddle. Brands to consider in addition to Circle Y would also include ones like Courts, Crates, older Simco, Reinsman, Billy Royal, and sometimes Corriente. These are all solid, decent saddles that can last a long time. I have a Billy Royal that is 40 years old and still looks and rides great. A used saddle from a good brand is better than a new saddle in the same price range. In general, the saddles from 10 - 20 years ago are made with much better leather than that same saddle now, so bear that in mind.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well then another question. I have been limiting my search to local saddles that I could go look at and possibly try before I buy, but there are surprisingly very few saddles within 2 hours of me. Would it be a bad idea to expand my search range and buy a saddle that looked in good condition shipped in, try it, and decide on it then? But my thing with that is not liking it and then having to sell it, but not having the money to buy a different one until after it’s sold. This is my first time buying a saddle. I would of course do my research on the brand and model as I have been.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I'd suggest getting on some 'horses/tack for sale' Facebook groups for your area. Even in our relatively non-horsey state, I counted over a dozen decent saddles up for sale in the last few days, about half of which are barrel saddles. If you post letting people know what you're looking for and what location you are in on those groups, you'll usually get a lot of responses. "I'm looking for a quality used 15" barrel racing saddle with a semi-quarter horse tree. My budget is $400 or less. What's out there in NW Arkansas?" --- you'll get some responses for saddles that don't fit your criteria, and some with cheap no-name saddles, but you should get some viable offers.

Another option is to look up some playdays/fun shows/barrel races in your area and ask around if anyone has tack for sale. A lot of people will, especially if you have cash in hand. That saddle that's been in their trailer tack room unused for a year is expendable if someone is interested in it and has money there. Posting on that club's FB page or taping a flier up on the concession stand that you're in attendance and looking for a saddle plus your phone/text number may get you some responses.

·
Registered
971 Posts
If you are in Montana the monthly horse sales at the various livestock exchanges have a tack auction that precedes the horse sale generally. You can pick up some really nice tack at those too.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
I’m in the market for a used barrel saddle. I don’t have a lot of money to spend on one, I just need something that will last me at least 2 years so I can save money for a better one. I don’t have a saddle right now so I’m literally only riding bareback because the tree on my old saddle broke. I have found 2 Dakota saddles and a couple Circle Y saddles. I have heard good and bad about the Circle Ys. I would be only considering the Dakota, but it has a full skirt and those are not my favorite, and the other is black, which I’m also not a huge fan of. The Circle Y does not have a full skirt and is the color I want. But if there is a considerable difference in quality then I’m not worried about color or skirt. I’ve also found a Circle S that is beautiful, but I don’t know anything about the brand. Any helpful suggestions? They are all about the same price.

Stay away from Dakota. I'd also say to stay away from Circle S.

If you can find an older Circle Y saddle (older, as in 20 years old or more), they were made very good quality then and as long as they were taken care of, they will still last you years to come. And should be easily within your budget. The newer Circle Y saddles are not the same quality they used to be (of course nothing seems to be), but they do offer good warranties on the trees.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about Circle M saddles? I can’t really find any new ones, but the used ones I can find for sale are like $500-$900.

·
Registered
465 Posts
What about Circle M saddles? I can’t really find any new ones, but the used ones I can find for sale are like $500-$900.
In the past there have been 2 Circle M Saddles Co. that I know of . One from Texas and one from Alabami . The ones from the LoneStar were/are higher grade builds .
Circle M from Alabama used to also be known also Valley Head saddles I believe or vice/versa . Some i've seen with steele brand trees , ones from Alabama .

Valley Head Saddlery-Manufacturers of Circle M and Pro Series Western Saddles

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I bought my Dakota 10yrs ago for $350.....I absolutely love it and will be buying another soon!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have only ridden in Circle Y saddles (some Billy Royals)and I swear by them! My first one when I bought my first horse, was already about 10 years old! I rode that thing for years until buying another nice used one. Just Google 16" Circle Y barrel saddles and see what pops up!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know that you are wanting to stay local but I did want to direct you to Horse Saddle Shop online. They have the best customer service and a really great exchange/ return policy. Plus.. They carry both manufacturers that you're looking at. :). I think that both manufacturers are good manufacturers. I like the seating of Circle Y better than Dakota personally but both are really good saddles. I have sat in both of them! https://www.horsesaddleshop.com/western-saddles.html.

I hope this helps! They are a one stop shop and full of knowledge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.