The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am currently looking at a saddle to buy but know nothing about the brand. It is a Dakota with new blevins, new conchos, new d rings, and was apparently professionally conditioned and oiled. I dont know if theyre good quality or what it would be worth. I couldnt get pictures on here so theyre on my profile under albums
70983519_10157491619794184_8635829779301400576_n.jpg

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Dakotas are a very cheap saddle and I would pass on a new or used Dakota and buy a used name brand saddle. We had a Dakota and it was so poorly made and pinched the horse we got rid of it after 1 ride

·
Super Moderator
11,977 Posts
Those I know that have them really like them. A good dealer will work with you on fit. One of our members I think was/maybe still is a dealer for them and if he happens to see this may stop in.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I would have concerns as the jockey is already curling up, despite being re-worked and conditioned professionally. That suggests the leather is a poor quality and that will only get worse in poor quality leather. GOOD leather can also do that when dry, but can be reshaped and conditioned and will hold it's shape rather than curl up again.

Personally, if I'm looking for saddles to use or resell, I avoid 'new' looking saddles and those from unknown makers that are doing that.

Caveat Emptor.

·
Premium Member
12,862 Posts
A former HF moderator who sold semi-custom saddles told me Dakota saddles were good quality for a lower cost saddle. They use Steele saddle trees, which are perfectly good trees. I haven't seen one so no first hand info here.

·
Super Moderator
11,977 Posts
I will have to add those that I know that have them have older models - no new so it may be quality has gone down. Perhaps if you found an older one.

I have to ask though is the jockey truly curling or is it an illusion because of the tooling in the leather right where you would expect it to curl?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I will have to add those that I know that have them have older models - no new so it may be quality has gone down. Perhaps if you found an older one.

I have to ask though is the jockey truly curling or is it an illusion because of the tooling in the leather right where you would expect it to curl?

You can see the rigging that runs between the back D and the front there at the back. That's usually because of curling, not because that part of the D and the rigging is meant to be seen. It's not curling much, mind you, but for that part of the rigging to be seen, with that little curling, it suggests they also cut that leather as close as they could to save costs.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I have a Dakota! I bought it over 10 years ago now and I absolutely love it! I personally would buy another in a heartbeat! I havent had a single issue with it, its extremely comfortable, and has held up great over the years!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have one and they're very nice for the price. I do not find them to be cheaply made at all and am pretty picky when it comes to tack. I've had mine for 12 years now and it's fit many of the horses I've put it on. I have no clue what the newer ones are like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.