The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my gelding has really bad dandruff on his dock and I can't get it to go away! Please help! He is now rubbing his tail and braking the hair! What can I do to clean the dock really good? It seems like I can wash and wash but I never get it out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok so my gelding has really bad dandruff on his dock and I can't get it to go away! Please help! He is now rubbing his tail and braking the hair! What can I do to clean the dock really good? It seems like I can wash and wash but I never get it out.
Do you use conditioner when you wash it?
Make sure to use a good horse conditioner after shampooing, let it set, then rinse it out.

Take a look at his diet.
What is he eating? Is he getting the nutrients he needs to maintain healthy skin?

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Definitely use some type of conditioner. MTG works great but it stinks.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i always wash the mane and tail with listerine

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He eats safe choice complete feed and 4 flakes of hay a day. He has a really nice coat everywhere except on his dock. He is very shiney. When I wash i use mane and tail shampoo and conditioner. I also have a botlle of mane n tail conditioner diluted with water. I use that as a detangler instead of silicone which breaks the hair.

·
Registered
343 Posts
How much of the complete feed is he eating? The reason that I ask, is that complete feeds are meant to be fed in the absence of hay. This means that they are higher in fiber than a normal grain, and are meant to be fed in much larger quantities. Because of this, they are less concentrated in vitamins, so that when fed in these larger quantities, there is not an excess. So, the short of it is that if you are not feeding a complete feed according to the directions (many people mistakenly feed less than directed), then your horse may not be getting the vitamins and minerals that he needs, this could cause dry skin., but if he is otherwise shiny and healthy, this may just be something to look into rather than the main problem.

Other than that, I have used mane and tail shampoo and conditioner with good results. I do not think that this is a problem. How often do you wash him? Also, does he regularly sweat without being hosed down? Excess salt on the coat can cause dry skin. Some MTG may give a little extra oil and help the situation. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
If you wash too often, that will remove that natural oils and cause him to be dry. Have you tried using conditioner without washing?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only wash him at most 3 times a year. He eats about 4 lbs a day. No he doesn't sweat much at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
550 Posts
My gelding has dandruff on his dock too :( he's fed 1 and 1/4 lbs of gro n win and I don't know the weight but 2 flakes am 5 flakes pm hay so I know he's gettung his nutrients.. the only thing is I was told wait a full 3 months before the full effect of his feed will show and the end of the month will be the end of february. In the mean time he has rubbed down to his dock and I want to pull my own hair out!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might want to try a more concentrated supplement along with your complete grain. There are lots out there for healthy hooves and hair. Sweet Pro (I feed 25% LESS!) and CaliforniaTrace are the two I use with Fiyaero (3 year old Polish Arabian filly).

I can't even describe the difference!
She used to obsessively eat pine needles and red dirt. She doesn't even give it a second glance any more! Small things like that... that are often passed by, can mean a nutritional deficiency.

I also use MTG in her mane and tail. It is washed, conditioned, MTG-ified, and braided up once a week. This though, is for growth of both the mane and tail. MTG is not great to use during the summertime, however- since the oils in it can make your horse's hair fry- even causing a sun burn. If your horse does not improve with supplements, MTG can also work as a good conditioner. But it's good to get down to the root of the problem before putting a quick "band aid" fix on a long term problem, you know?

I wish hay was as nutritious as it was a hundred years ago. But that is just not the case anymore!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've actually talked with my farrier about vitaferm. I'm essentially saving a 5y/o ottb since her owner has never had a horse before and knows nothing about care. We switched her from sweet feed and oats....yea... to gro n win and beet pulp with extra hay. She's gaining weight wonderfully and my farrier said she's coming back quickly and that if we really wanted to boots her to get vitaferm and I asked him about my horse. He said his hooves are good and healthy but it will only help him so I'm thinking I'll get some! Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts