The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a horse grey out before, nor a horse as young as four. But, my dark bay has started developing white hair along her stomach and flank. So far, it's peppered in there and not in clumps, just one hair here and another there. It seems like I'm seeing more every day! I know I'm a crazy owner, but I didn't think I was THAT stressful ;).

Anyway, I'm interested in what people think. She doesn't have a ring around her eye and it's not on her head and neck, just barrel, rump, and a bit of shoulders. It's hard to make out unless you're up close too, and it doesn't show up well in pictures (also my camera is pretty damaged, so I couldn't get any good shots!). Could she be greying out?

I wish I could get a decent picture of it, and I'm going to try and borrow a friends phone to take one tonight, but I did include a shot of her, just because I always love an excuse to show off my baby :).

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If she had a grey parent , yes she can grey out. Is she part Appy? If so, she can get some color.
Full thoroughbred. I dont know anything about her parentage, she was a rescue and the shelter didn't get much much more info than what a vet could infer from her condition.
I got a friend to send me a picture, and this is what it looks like so far:
Purple Tints and shades Grass Human leg Magenta

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
That looks like ticking, which is not uncommon for bays.

Is the end of her tail dark or does it get light towards the end? That fading of the tail color is a tell-tale sign of grey. From the first picture you posted, her tail looks dark.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks like ticking, which is not uncommon for bays.

Is the end of her tail dark or does it get light towards the end? That fading of the tail color is a tell-tale sign of grey. From the first picture you posted, her tail looks dark.
Her tail has what I've always joked are "blonde highlights", not sure if that's officially her tail getting lighter or just how her tail is! You can see them better here:
Hair Horse Head Working animal Liver

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
I don't think she's going gray, just has random white hairs. You have a pretty girl!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe they start greying on the face first....is there rabicano in thoroughbreds? It's usually concentrated on the flanks, sides.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I think what you are seeing in her tail is just fading from the sun. I don't see any indication of grey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts