The Horse Forum banner

darkening a bay's coat?

15413 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  VickiRose
Hi everyone! :)

I have a light bay gelding and I'd like to darken up his coat. He has a very prominent dorsal stripe and dapples.

Any suggestions on a supplement? i'd prefer a natural one and one that doesn't cost and arm and a leg! :wink:

I've done a bit of research and things like turmeric and linseed come up a lot... anyone ever tried these before? do they have any effect?

Thanks in advance!! :D
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
17,000 Posts
Ok not to hijack your thread, but could this sort of thing also be used to darken the mane/tail/dark points of a buckskin?? Mine is always bleaching out, especially her tail :/

OP, your horse is SO handsome by the way! :)
Yes, at least the Dark as Knight will help protect against sun damage. For my show horses, I keep them in during the day and out in the evening/night and I bag their tails.

· Registered
17,000 Posts
Thanks! I bag her tail too, but that leaves the top sticking out, which is the part that gets sun bleached the worst...a nice burnt orange color :-|
You can use a foam in hair color to blacken her tail while you wait for the BAK to work from the inside out. Usually 6 weeks or so. But at least you can have a black tail til then. :wink:

· Registered
17,000 Posts
yeah I've definitely done that! :lol: Works well temporarily BUT it's a HUGE pain to do when you don't want ANY of the dye to touch your CREAM COLORED horse!! I need like 3 helpers - 1 to hold a towel around her tail, me putting the dye on, and another to be ready to wipe if it DOES get on anything :lol:
LOL! Yeah, not a remedy I'd use unless we were going to a show the next day or something. But if you can wait, the BAK starts working and you won't have that problem anymore.

· Registered
17,000 Posts
Thanks heaps everyone! :)

Tlkng1, i love the before and after shots! :D

I don't show, so the fact its not allowed isn't a problem for me at this stage... but why does it come up illegal?

I'm definitely going to try the Paprika and flax seeds, Turkish Van...

Has anyone had an experience with turmeric or sunflower seeds?

Thanks again! :)
Paprika tests positive for capsaicin, an analgesic, which is a banned substance in show horses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.