The Horse Forum banner

darkening a bay's coat?

15416 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  VickiRose
Hi everyone! :)

I have a light bay gelding and I'd like to darken up his coat. He has a very prominent dorsal stripe and dapples.

Any suggestions on a supplement? i'd prefer a natural one and one that doesn't cost and arm and a leg! :wink:

I've done a bit of research and things like turmeric and linseed come up a lot... anyone ever tried these before? do they have any effect?

Thanks in advance!! :D
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,760 Posts
Ok not to hijack your thread, but could this sort of thing also be used to darken the mane/tail/dark points of a buckskin?? Mine is always bleaching out, especially her tail :/

OP, your horse is SO handsome by the way! :)

· Registered
4,760 Posts
Yes, at least the Dark as Knight will help protect against sun damage. For my show horses, I keep them in during the day and out in the evening/night and I bag their tails.
Thanks! I bag her tail too, but that leaves the top sticking out, which is the part that gets sun bleached the worst...a nice burnt orange color :-|

· Registered
4,760 Posts
You can use a foam in hair color to blacken her tail while you wait for the BAK to work from the inside out. Usually 6 weeks or so. But at least you can have a black tail til then. :wink:
yeah I've definitely done that! :lol: Works well temporarily BUT it's a HUGE pain to do when you don't want ANY of the dye to touch your CREAM COLORED horse!! I need like 3 helpers - 1 to hold a towel around her tail, me putting the dye on, and another to be ready to wipe if it DOES get on anything :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.