The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please define some of the equine chiropractic terms?

I keep hearing "rib out", "withers out", etc., but I tried google, and cannot find any definitions as they relate to horses.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
These are definitely lay person terms and not the technical terminology.

Generally "out" means a bone is out of position due to muscular or tendon/ligament strain pulling it out of alignment. It may or may not involve subluxation.

Withers out, as I understand it, generally refers to the first few thoracic vertebrae being misaligned (the withers, after all, are simply the dorsal process of the vertebrae). A rib out can refer either to the actual rib, or the thoracic vertebra that the rib is attached to, which will, in turn, move the rib itself.

Was that sort of what you were asking?

And welcome to the forum, by the way!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thank you so much! that helps. I have had a few horses have chiropractic work, but it has been a few years, and had never heard these terms used.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
35,690 Posts
I would take a lot of these terms with a very large helping of salt
Horses have a very sturdy skeleton and its held in place with an equally strong muscular structure.
Yes they can break small bones reasonably easily but it takes a lot of impact to move those bigger ones - even a rib would take some force to move it and that amount of force would be as likely to break it
If a horse is consistently being ridden or just moving in an incorrect way - such as after an injury it can cause muscles to over and under develop and good physio using manipulation and massage therapy can help resolve those things over time - one example is how a horses spine can give problems if its worked in an inverted frame for a long time - but to correct that takes an equally long time of working in the right frame and won't be solved in one visit from a chiropractor bashing away at its back

1 - 4 of 4 Posts