The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Threads are only deleted or closed by moderators and only if they break the rules or get out of hand.

·
Registered
48,980 Posts
Well, the you may call it " your" thread, it really isn't yours . Just as when you start a conversation, is that conversation yours? One of the reasons the rules have been set to disallow members from deleting or closing threads they have started is that if I knew that someone could, at any moment, just pull the plug on the thread , I would not bother to type out and add any kind of lengthy reply to a post, as it would be at high risk of being effort wasted. It would be destructive to overall continuity of a discussion.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
I agree with what has been said.

You start a thread on a problem with training for example. Before long you have five pages of replies, some quite long, people have taken the time to reply to you. The fact that the replies are not what you want to hear makes you decide to delete your original post - that leaves five pages of replies to no question. Very confusing for other people.

·
Registered
48,980 Posts
the rules have always been that the deletion of threads is to be a minimal thing, only if a thread is deemed to be nothing but unauthorized advertising, or trolling. or, discussions of moderating actions , or in other ways breaks forum rules. the rules are there, and in fact you can read them at any time.

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Many might be surprised at the wealth of information to be found in old threads.
We have a search feature where you can put in any topic of interest and read discussions about it.
Very useful if-
a.) You are dealing with an unusual issue or health concern with your horse but in current time there doesn't seem so be a lot of replies to your question/issue.
b.) You did get some answers to your concern, but know you would like to dig a little deeper into a subject, such as what's the overall opinion on saddle "x" or is there a connection between high iron levels in the soil and increased occurances with thrush.

Just because a book may be a little out of date, most would not throw them away because much of the information contained in the book is still very relevant, especially books on particular subjects.
What about a blog? Maybe I have pages from 5 years ago on my blog that detail an unusual condition that I dealt with in my herd....should I delete those pages because they are old?
The ability to get your hands on good information quickly is one of the best perks of the internet.

·
Registered
48,980 Posts
I hope the questions have been answered. if you have further questions, first take a moment to reread the rules, then open a Talk to the Team thread for discussion with moderating team, if you like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.