The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here is the problem I am having. I have an 18 year old Arab mare that I have had for 4 years now. She has some trouble with allergies, so will cough sometimes. Some days are better than others. We never ride her very hard, so we just deal with it. Here is the problem though. She has started "shooting" urine out when she coughs. Needless to say, we have to be exceptionally careful about walking behind her, and avoiding her tail. We have a call in to the vet, but has anyone ever seen this before? Any ideas on how to deal with something like this? I have never had her bred, but I do know that she has foaled a few times. Do they make depends for horses?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Why would you want to put a diaper on a horse?

They poop and pee outside. Its what they do.

putting a diaper on a horse that does that would be horrible. The poor mare would be a stinky, raw mess in a day or so.

Wait for your vet to do a physical. maybe she has a uti or tumor or something else going on.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Haha, poor thing....Many women out there know exactly that feeling!

Talk to the vet though, for sure! They are the only ones who can really give you an answer, or a solution based on your circumstances, not just conjecture.

·
Registered
14,315 Posts
My friend has a mare that sprayed poo when she coughed or tooted. Hilarious when we had a stock trailer with slat sides right at her butt level. We stopped at a 7-11, bunch of skateboarders out front, Smokey let out a fart and sprayed them with fresh bits of manure. Those skateboarder punks cleared out of there like they had wings, lol. No, diapers on horses is degrading, stay away from her spraying end, easiest way than changing horse diapers.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
^^^ LMAO.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't really put a diaper on her, that is just my oddball humor. Right now I am using her as a lesson horse at a summer camp though, and the thought of a little one being in the wrong place at the wrong time is disturbing. As it is, one of my wranglers has been nailed twice. She wasn't doing this when we started camp, it has only started in the last week. It is only urine, but it is projectile pee pee. She can nail you a good 5-6 feet behind her.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Hahaha. Is she perhaps in heat?
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.