1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
You really got a thing for deworming, don't you? :lol:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Our vet advises against regular worming as well, for horses that stay on their own pasture & with the same pasture mates. We wormed our two when they came home, after that, they will only be wormed if a test shows they need it.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Sort of agree with the article. My vets (both in NY and Va) recommend quarterly fecals, with worming spring and fall like the article said, mainly because there are species that do not always show up on a fecal.

I have been dong this for 2 years now, and have yet to need anything but the recommended twice a year, which frankly is pretty close to how we used to do it "back in the day" when we tubed the, twice a year.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Agreed.

I get a fecal test done every spring. I dose for that, then I don't worry about it until the fall. I get a fecal test done, and dose for that.

My guy never has issues.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no idea where you are, but about $15 in my experience.
i remember i think the vet said there is a charge for them to come do it and there's a different charge if you bring them a few samples. Do you know what that difference is for where you are? I have to take the horse to get coggins soon so I just might let them do it then

·
Registered
675 Posts
I haven't had a fecal test done yet (first horse, just got him two days ago) but I DO know that most of the vets up here charge around $75 for a barn call, then whatever they need to do on top of that. If you don't have a trailer and ever have a sample test that doesn't require your horse to be there, take it in. No point in paying $75 for something you can do yourself imo!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't had a fecal test done yet (first horse, just got him two days ago) but I DO know that most of the vets up here charge around $75 for a barn call, then whatever they need to do on top of that. If you don't have a trailer and ever have a sample test that doesn't require your horse to be there, take it in. No point in paying $75 for something you can do yourself imo!
definitely, I'm all about saving as much as i can whenever i can lol. But if i take him in to get coggins and they say it will cost the same amount to do the horse since he is there as it would cost for me to bring the poop in, I will let them do it there then.

·
Registered
69 Posts
definitely, I'm all about saving as much as i can whenever i can lol. But if i take him in to get coggins and they say it will cost the same amount to do the horse since he is there as it would cost for me to bring the poop in, I will let them do it there then.
That only works if he poops while he's there though. (Or in the trailer on the way). I'd bring a sample along with anyway, just in case.
(I suppose they could probably do a swab or something to get a sample from the horse itself, but I'd bet there'd be an extra charge for that).

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
(I suppose they could probably do a swab or something to get a sample from the horse itself, but I'd bet there'd be an extra charge for that).
The Vet puts on the looooong gloves and goes after his sample.... :wink:

The gloves apparently scared my horse, took one look at the Vet putting them on and promptly pooped! :lol:

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
That's 'cause Timmy knew what the vet was going to do after he put on those gloves, Delf! :shock:

Instead of letting the vet grossly invade his personal space and body sanctity, he gave his own sample. :rofl:

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
You can just send it yourself. That's what I did this year: packed some fresh poop early March and sent them to VA Eq Hospital center (whatever the name is). $8/horse (plus shipping of course). They called me week later with the results.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Can ya blame the poor lil guy?

Oh did he KNOW what those gloves are used for, every time the Vet comes he ends up doing a "long glove" exam!! :shock:

Silly just needs to stop colicing and stop losing weight, so he doesn't have to be visited by the Vet!

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
We always have a fresh sample "pulled" with those lovely long gloves.

I agree with two worming, as a general rule unless they are always testing high.
I and my vet agrees to switch up the paste, Zymectrin (sp) in the spring and Quest in the fall. But it can be different in regions/keep/other variables.
I personally worm 3 times a year, once in Dec./Jan because the bots are
horrific in my area using a Bot specific paste.

I understand your desire to ELIMINATE those worms! I wouldn't have my kid
wormy and so it goes for my horses!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.