The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my horse absolutely hates dewormer! Actually, he hates taking ANYTHING orally through a syringe! I've just been mixing his dewormer with his grain, but it's annoying when he needs to take banamine or for some other reason...Any tips on getting him to accept syringes in his mouth?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The way to teach your horse to accept an oral syringe is to practice using it. It may take a day, ten days, weeks, or even months. Clean out an old oral syringe, and get a large container of something that tastes good to your horse. I use applesauce when working this with my horses.

This WILL be messy the first few times, because your horse is going to resist.

Fill your syringe with applesauce.. Some will be on the outside. Don't wipe it off. It will allow your horse to smell it, and it may interest him.

The first time you do it, only insert the tip into his mouth and squirt a little bit of applesauce. The idea is to reduce the horses resistance gradually by giving him nothing to resist. Most horses will drop their heads and look for more applesauce. When you use the syringe next time, you horse's head will go up again. Probably not as far, though. As soon as he figures out that the syringe isn't going to hurt him, and that the applesauce comes out of it, he'll be much easier to treat.

Keep repeating this process. Twenty or thirty times is necessary. Everyday for three or four weeks. Most horses get the idea within a day or two.. but all horses are different.

Start doing this before you are due to give him a wormer. You'll find that with every try that the horse is more interested in opening his mouth and less interested in pulling away. As the horse learns to lower his head and open his mouth, you can start dispensing more applesauce, and you can put it farther back in his mouth.

Aim for the very back, on top of the tongue. When a horse feels something there he automatically swallows.

Next time you give him a wormer, aim it there. Then automatically after he swallows the wormer, follow it with a syringe full of applesauce.

I read all of this in a book MANY years ago, and have been doing this ever since to teach horses that wormers are NOT that bad. We even do it with the seized horses that the humane society releases to us, and it will take them longer to become okay with this.. but they do eventually get it.

Just be patient.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
You might also be interested in natural/herbal dewormers - horses usually even tend to like them and eat willingly - but I won't be of any forther help, just tossing an idea, because we live in two totally different parts of the world and I have no idea about what of the specific herbs are available where you live and how potent they are, therefore - what dosage to use. Good luck!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Good advice from ImIm. But beware--some horses don't like applesauce! I started practicing the syringe with my mare and she only got worse. Now, I just mix the wormed with plain sugar, throw in carrots, and mix it into her sweet feed. So far she's gobbled it down. If I mix it with applesauce she won't go near it.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Have you tried smearing a small amount on an alfalfa cube? Like a little icing on a muffin? I'll break a cube into small wafers and use them for treats and the horses quite like them. I now "ice" the wafer and the greedy boy gobbles it down. It takes about ten or so to get it all in but no struggle and he thinks he's getting a treat. If you try this put just a small dab on and see if he'll take it or spit it out. If you have to offer him a wafer without dewormer then one with. When done I always offer a few more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.