The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mare (age 28) has been having loose, previously watery but now slightly formed cow plops for almost 2 months. She is boarded and with the extreme cold where we are, I haven't been out to see her for 2 weeks. But the barn owner thought she was doing better. Initially we thought she was just anxious because her pasture mate and love had just been sold and moved away. So we put her on some probiotics and omeprazole for a bit and took her off Equiox (which she NEEDS for arthritis). A couple of weeks ago, the barn owner put her back on Equiox. She can hardly move without it. So I am suspecting this is the culprit. Vet is coming out today and will check her and do fecal tests. (By they way, she hardly ever has eggs in her fecal counts so highly doubt that will be an issue this time either). I'm worried that she wont' be able to stay on Equiox and she really is not comfortable without it. I have tried joint supplements and supplements for arthritis and they weren't helpful. To be honest, I don't really believe in them as medicinal. If they are strong enough to make an impact on arthritis like she has, then who knows what else they will do. They are not regulated. The barn owner is pushing to put her on a supplement he has seen success with but it's not going to be enough, in my opinion. We'll see what the vet says. Just wondering if others had problems with Equiox or diarrhea in older horses who otherwise seem healthy.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Feeding psyllium every day may help relieve the symptoms of diarrhea even if you don't know what is wrong yet. I use it on my mare as needed as she gets anxious at times (new pasture mates, change in weather or routine) and it helps the symptoms until the anxiety passes. It is natural and won't hurt to feed every day for extended periods according to 3 different vets I have asked.

·
Registered
10,067 Posts
I’ve had issues with my senior geldings when the chemistry changes in the plants in late summer and then when they eat a few dry leaves along with the grass.

So far I’ve been able to keep it under control, although the ice storm last week threatened to destroy my progress. The falling trees up on the ridge sounded like constant gunfire, which got them both way out of sorts for a few days.

Reactions: Kalraii

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
The field I moved to last year .. it was really common that during spring they get horrible explosive diarrhoea. A few owners, one in particular, trying every product under the sun to figure out a stool firmer. A lot of horses in their 20's and owners who've been there twice that long and more. This place has an issue of older horses passing away after serious colic. Like almost all that I've learned about.

Well not long ago an old little Shetland colicked with me there. That same frosty morning another mare. And then a few more horses joined in over the next month. The first old boy died. Well it turned out that we have HUGE HUGE redworm problem that no one ever picked up on. The owners just wormed as directed by the farmer for years who never gave the appropriate product for RW. Between the symptoms of all the oldies, their condition (most got runny bottoms, bad coat, hard keepers and the belly) and history everyone including the vets thinks its due to this. Thing is vet said it doesn't always come up in worm counts and when I got home read up:

A worm egg count will not show encysted stages of small redworm as the larvae do not lay eggs. Scientists are currently working on developing an antibody test to detect any levels of infection by measuring the immune response of the horse. Until a test is available that allows evidence based treatment then a suitable wormer should be given once a year in the winter months to guard against the possibility of encysted redworm.

I am in the UK. I have no idea if this is a problem for you but it was such a huge shock to some owners here who wonder "what if" I had to share. Fingers crossed for you and your lady x

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Never heard of red worm.
Large and small strongyles are called red worms. Wormer can't get them when they are encrusted in the stomach and intestinal lining. They migrate twice a year, spring and fall, that is when it is best to worm for them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the vet checked her out but I guess didn't ponder the problem too much. I called my concerns into the clinic before the vet visit and the barn-owner was there at the visit. (As I said, I am a boarder and I couldn't be at the visit this time). Anway, fecal egg count is zero. She is good weight. Good teeth. She never addressed the diarrhea until I called in again to the vet clinic (3 times). Finally I get a call back later in the week. She thinks it's fecal water syndrome and recommended increasing the protein in feed and also probiotic. I never heard of this FWS before. I looked it up. Fecal water syndrome is supposed to have "normal feces" but then fecal water passed before, during or after passing feces. My mare's feces is clearly mushy and not formed balls so seems to argue against the FWS theory. I think the probiotic is a good idea regardless and will add it. We'll try the protein. She had only been getting maybe 1/2 pound of 12% feed twice per day and has access to hay all day long. By the way, she is already tested for Cushing's and thyroid issues less than a year ago. She was normal. Either way, hope the probiotic does the trick.

·
Registered
10,067 Posts
It is true with FCW the manurse is pretty much normal consistency but it can be a tad loose,

I realize you board but is it possible to change what goes on your mare’s feedpan? It’s possible what was once ok for her isn’t anymore.

Whatever probiotic you buy, please be sure it is not full of needless fillers or additives. By a product that is strictly a probiotic.

I used Probios for quite a few years but switched about two years ago to GutWerks by HorseTech.

If misery loves company,mothered ee s to be an lot of this type of issue this year:)

Reactions: Kalraii
1 - 10 of 10 Posts