The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mucking out the stalls this morning and one of the geldings has diarrhea. It's not terrible but it's noticable (or I'm just the paranoid-momma-type). He's not acting odd, eating fine, drinking fine. No changes to diet. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I would check his temp and if normal just keep an eye on him at this point. If it goes on for any length of time a phone call to the vet would be in order. You could also give 30CC of Pepto or Kaolin Pectin.

Our older mare had a bout of this about a month ago, vet said give her 30CC 3x's per day for 3 or 4 days, if there was no improvement blood work would of been next, but she improved!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Whenever the horses I work with get diarrhea it's usually because they are excited. What kind of feed does he get? As long as it doesn't continue then I don't think you have anything major to worry about. Just keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
What did he get for treats over the holiday?

Just like we humans, a horses digestive tract can be messed up by over indulgence.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Well those are good choices. Just keep an eye on it, as long as it doesn't persist then you shouldn't have a problem.

You worm regularly right?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My weanling has had a few boughts, just noticed it again last night. Beet pulp usually helps his tummy/ stool get better. I've never tried human products. My vet always suggest getting a fecal count before doing anything else. If it persists for more then a day something might be up.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If it is just loose like cow dung then don't worry about it, but if it is more like water youneed to call the vet immediately. Diarrhea is a sign of serious trouble in horses.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh cow dung is how I'd describe it. He did get hauled out to a lesson yesterday.

I think his owner gave him bran mash and apples for treat a couple of days ago.

·
Super Moderator
26,700 Posts
How is the weather? If it's extremely cold outside I would put some luke warm water in his stall. I have issues with sand colic so whenever my horse gets a cow-patty type poop I will immediately sand clear. Check his temp and make sure he's acting right and then keep an eye on him. If the poop gets any type of watery consistency to it then call the vet because as Kevin pointed out, that's a pretty big warning sign.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.