The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about importing a horse from Spain. Any tips for the importation process? Specifically, What insurance Company did you use for the import and what did the policy cover?

·
Administrator
36,149 Posts
I bought my own three horses from the UK to the US.

I used IRT (International Racehorse Transport) They don't just move horses
https://www.irt.com/

They provided an excellent service and organized everything for us including the quarantine in the US - which you have to comply with it mares and stallions are involved.

We used our own vet for all of the health checks in the UK.

Our horses were already insured with the UK company South Essex Insurance (SEIB) and that cover remained in place until they left UK soil.
They were covered by IRT insurance while in flight and we had a US cover in place to take over the moment they were on US soil and no longer the responsibility of IRT.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,090 Posts
I would be very careful. Really do your research on the trainers who worked with them. I rode a horse, for a year, who had been imported from Spain, two owners ago, at the cost of $70,000 all told. Was trained to Prix St. Georges.... technically. Could do all the movements, but badly and under duress. Ridden in rolkur and constantly whipped and spurred constantly to force him through the movements, by his trainers in Spain. (I've seen videos.) He mentally broke, and is barely a usable riding horse after all that, just for the basic gaits, never mind anything fancy. Nothing physically wrong with him, but he's so full of resentment it's heartbreaking. He's the most difficult horse I've ever ridden, despite me trying to have the most patience possible. Everything was a fight. I've seen some other problems with people being shady about pre purchase exam results, etc. There are some wonderful horses out of Spain, but people often get sold an idea and not a reality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jaycee, Did you have frustration of import insurance?

Steadyon, yes. I’m being super careful. The only reason I’m considering it is because I have a trainer involved who has personal connections to the seller in Spain and her own vet over there who trained in the US. I have several videos of the horse including ones from a low level rider in a simple snaffle. But I would never do this if I had no one else involved.

PPE this week—hope it goes well.

·
Administrator
36,149 Posts
Jaycee, Did you have frustration of import insurance?.
No I didn't but I was in a different situation to the one you're proposing.

I already owned the horses and so they were already insured in the UK by South Essex Insurance who covered them up to the moment they left UK soil.

I used the IRT's insurance to cover them while in flight and arranged a US insurance to cover them from the time they arrived in the US.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts