The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 y/o ottb is not an easy keeper and I was just wondering if I could get some opinions on his diet and what maybe we can do to improve. He is in full work with jumping 2x a week, chambon on the lunge 1x a week, flat 2x a week, and trail/ hill conditioning 1x a week. He gets turn out on a grass paddock from 4pm-7am everyday, then spends the rest of the day in his stall under a fan. He is also a cribber.

For his "grain"/concentrates he is on 1 1/4 large scoop of Purina Ultium (I know y'all want the weight I think that's around 2lbs) and gets this 2x a day

His supplement include biotin powder, double strength Farrier's Formula, and MSM. (we might possibly start an ulcer powder soon because of the cribbing after talking to a vet) Tomorrow we will begin adding corn oil for fat.

His hay is all-you-can-eat timothyXorchard while he is in a stall and he gets one very dense flake of alfalfa a day (will find out weight soon)

He is also properly wormed.

It's just not easy to keep him at the "perfect" weight. He has muscle but just is your typical lean thoroughbred. I don't expect him to ever be super fat, but it would be nice not to be able to count his ribs by just looking. Honestly, nothing dietary will make this horse hot so luckily that's not a worry. So anyone have opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I would up the Purina Ulitum or switch to Triple Crown Senior. I've had the best luck with a hard keeper TB (and hard keepers/rehab horses in general) with the TCS. I have personally fed Ultium, and I'm not a big fan of Purina, but I would say it's one of their best feeds. Since it has a weight gain supplement in it already (it contains Amplify) I would up it before adding something such as corn oil (oils aren't good for horses). How is his weight other than over his ribs? Some horses's (especially TB's) you will always show rib even if they look good everywhere else.

Reactions: Yogiwick

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would up the Purina Ulitum or switch to Triple Crown Senior. I've had the best luck with a hard keeper TB (and hard keepers/rehab horses in general) with the TCS. I have personally fed Ultium, and I'm not a big fan of Purina, but I would say it's one of their best feeds. Since it has a weight gain supplement in it already (it contains Amplify) I would up it before adding something such as corn oil (oils aren't good for horses). How is his weight other than over his ribs? Some horses's (especially TB's) you will always show rib even if they look good everywhere else.
We have upped the ultium from 1 scoop 2x a day. His weight affects the way his saddle fits now, he was heavier when I bought the saddle so you can see it on his spine. Also on his butt and croup area. It also shows a bit on his shoulders.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
We have upped the ultium from 1 scoop 2x a day. His weight affects the way his saddle fits now, he was heavier when I bought the saddle so you can see it on his spine. Also on his butt and croup area. It also shows a bit on his shoulders.
What do you mean it's on his spine? I'm trying to picture what you mean, but I'm not sure if you mean withers, or that it is actually sitting on his spine, which if that's the case the problem is that the gullet channel is too narrow. Weight won't affect that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean it's on his spine? I'm trying to picture what you mean, but I'm not sure if you mean withers, or that it is actually sitting on his spine, which if that's the case the problem is that the gullet channel is too narrow. Weight won't affect that.
Oh haha sorry for the confusion. I meant along the spine, you can see the weightloss along the spine.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ok, so you can see the weight loss along his spine, not that the saddle is on his spine? That changes a lot lol. I would give the upped Ultium a shot, and see how that goes before changing a lot. Do you have a picture of him just standing that shows the weight loss?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so you can see the weight loss along his spine, not that the saddle is on his spine? That changes a lot lol. I would give the upped Ultium a shot, and see how that goes before changing a lot. Do you have a picture of him just standing that shows the weight loss?
I don't have a picture right now of his current weight. I will get one tomorrow, however.

·
Registered
881 Posts
My OTTB is an extremely hard keeper and i've had him 5 years. Took 2 years to FINALLY find a diet that worked for him and caused to gain weight and actually keep it. (except this winter was very cold and hard and he lost some)

Tried some different things, he was on beet pulp and triple crown senior and no success. I had him on cool calories but no success and so many other feeds.

What finally worked for him was

2 scoops of Nutrena Legacy ( which is high fat and protein) 2x a day
1/2 of scoop of Safe Choice Performance 2x a day
1/2 scoop of Empower Boost (Very high fat) Meant for hard keeper 2x a day
and finally a little scoop of probiotics with free choice of hay and grass.

1st pic was my horse before the diet

Second is on that diet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Your guy doesn't look too bad, a bit ribby, but he has a saddle on so I can't see the weight loss around his spine that you described.

I went to Purinas website and checked out the Ultium. I did 2 calculations for a 1100 pound horse. (I assume he's around that weight now? Do you know what he weighs?) It said for a horse in moderate work you should feed 6.75 pounds and for a horse in heavy work that would go up to 8.5 pounds of Ultium.

If your calculations were right and you were feeding 2 lbs twice a day= 4 lbs then you were at least 2.75 to 4.5 pounds under the recommended serving. That means he likely wasn't getting enough calories for his workload. (Again assuming he's around 1100 lbs.)

If you up the feed an extra scoop like you said that'll bring him closer to the amount needed.
You can also add something like rice bran, copra, beet pulp, or any commercial fat supplement to bring his weight up without feeding more grains/ hard feeds.

Good luck with his weight gain. :)

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I would continue to up the Ultium, add beet pulp, then if need be add a weight supplement/top dressing, then if still need be try some different types of grains instead of the Ultium.

Definitely continue to up and try the beet pulp.

From that pic alone he looks nice - healthy lean. I get that sometimes it's hard to keep them "lean" instead of "bones poking out".. love those horses! :( but from that pic he looks good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.