The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it's spring time here I think we all know just how lovely our horses can get when on the grass, especially when it's dairy grass!

Mitch had been doing so well the past 2 weeks coming back in to work, he was going around like a little dressage star as opposed to a llama :lol:
On Saturday I needed to shift the horses to a new paddock so theirs could be rid of the buttercup that had taken over.
cool, me being lazy, open up all the gates between the two paddocks and go out there with two feed buckets thinking I would be followed. Well DJ followed, but Mitch wanted to stay where he was and no amount of persuasion was moving him even when I did get the halters out. Fine, have it your way, stay in the paddock with no grass and no feed, DJ can have the grass.
I left him there.

Sunday night I come home and Mitch is in where he's meant to be, dad put him there for me.

Tonight, I go to lunge him since I was too tired to ride, and I wanted to work mainly with DJ.
I hook him up and send him round and he's going just fine until... OMG HORSE FLOAT MONSTER. Every time he went passed the float he would spook and take off, not normal for him, he doesn't usually give a rats behind about anything around him. Then he really p****d me off, he spooked at the same thing for the 10th time but instead of checking himself and carrying on he took off, and I mean took off. I had the lunge line ripped through my hands (I love my gloves) and he was gone.
Next time I was ready, he did it again the next time and by crikey I had that horse backing up so **** fast he nearly fell flat on his backside and didn't know what had hit him. Once he realised I was the scariest thing in his surroundings he quit his crap for a few circles and then did it again. We had this meeting 3 times until he just quit it completely and decided it was probably easier to listen to me.
By the time we finished I was sweaty and gross and so was he, and he was blowing rather hard too.
He's a fat piggy at the moment anyway, so guess who is now in the diet paddock with all hay and not a blade of grass to be seen! As well as toxin binders and magnesium.
And he can stay in there until I have my level-headed lazy horse back too.

I'm highly amused now honestly(more with the way I coped and found a new supply of energy that I didn't know I had), and I shouldn't be, but at the time I was the she-devil complete with steaming ears... I may or may not have threatened him with death after he swung his bum my direction and swiftly received a welt-making smack on that butt.

Just thought I'd share :lol:

DJ however, is still DJ and is allowed to stay on the grass until such time as circumstances mean she needs to be off the grass also.:lol:

·
Super Moderator
10,222 Posts
Good for you.

The ones I work with only get about 10 hours on grass anyway and spend the rest of the time in a corral. They do much better weight-wise and have plenty of energy for their work.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mitch always gets very very light in winter, I haven't quite figured out the right feed regime for him in that time just yet, but as soon as spring hits he turns tank haha!
He is feeling very sorry for himself today but I have no sympathy for him just yet so he can darn well stay in there and I'll be fencing off the majority of his paddock when he eventually redeems his privilege of grass :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.