The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I’m looking at possibly buying a mare that is 5 years old. She currently just has a breeders certificate. Can she still be registered? How do I go about doing that? I’ve only bought horses with papers so I really have no clue what to do for a breeders certificate! Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Sorry site seems to be acting up.

What breed is your horse?

AQHA sends out Breeder's Certificates (preprinted registration applications) to stallion owners that have filed a stallion report showing who they bred to that year.

Depending on how old the horse is at this time will determine how much it will cost to register. You'll need to DNA verify as well. I think you are also required to become a member.

Just the registration is $550 plus you have to pay for the parentage verification - as long as both parents have DNA on file then no problem and your membership. I don't think if registering there is a transfer charge. Depending on age of sire and dam there may or may not be this info in the data base. If they are still living and you can get the owners to send in hair then processing can continue but someone now has to pay for those samples

ETA That mare is not registered. She does not have papers. As long as the breeder's Cert is hers then she can be registered if she can be parentage verified.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My trainer mentioned that sometimes QHs are not being registered due to being Hypp positive

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Chip brings up a good point. If there was a panel test on her then depending on her status she may not be able to be registered. Any H/H result is not allowed. BUT if that is the reason then the OP would have bigger problems on their hands as those horses are severely affected.

It isn't uncommon for the preprinted forms to be given to the new owner and the new owner either 1) Doesn't understand they are responsible for the registration or 2) Can't afford to register so don't or 3) There is something wrong with the horse that would show up on the papers as a fault. As this is a mare then cryptorchid is not an issue but parrot mouth could be and HYPP would be the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.