The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I call them all chestnuts. Depending on your region some classify flaxen chestnuts as sorrels and where I grew up any really red chestnut was considered sorrel. Genetically they are all red horses.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Genetically they are the same. Most people call the darker ones Chestnuts, and the lighter ones sorrel. Especially with the flax/white mane and tail, they are called sorrel. But they are the same.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I think it all depends on what region of the world you are in and what discipline or group you are most associated with. Many of the old cowboy types will call everything sorrel. However, many english riders call everything chesnut. I personally consider the lighter ones sorrel and the darker ones chesnut. I would call your mare chesnut because her color is a little deeper red than many. I consider the sorrel to be the more orangey color but you will get a different answer every time you ask a different person.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
oo! Interesting topic. I actually have never used the term sorrel before, so this is fun to learn. So something like this mare would be considered sorrel?(By the way this is my colt's half sister)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
some breeds make the determination. Like Peruvains go by chestnut and do not use the term sorrel but tehy are both brown. I have 1 chestnut that is more red than the other but they are both chestnuts.

·
Registered
359 Posts
PHOTOS NOKIKA 006.jpg

does it make a difference if they have a dorsel (sp) stripe?

is hollie a sorrel or chestnut?

her papers say sorrel, but judging by everyones explinations she is just chestnut... confusion

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
some breeds make the determination. Like Peruvains go by chestnut and do not use the term sorrel but tehy are both brown. I have 1 chestnut that is more red than the other but they are both chestnuts.
Exactly - haflingers are also considered Chestnut horses (flaxen chestnuts) and the term sorrel is not used for the breed.

It can also depend on the discipline as well. English disciplines tend to use the term chestnut more and stay away from sorrel, while western disciplines tend to use sorrel a lot.

Region is also a determining factor as well. There are no hard and fast rules and because of that it makes it a very confusing term.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
They are the same color to some breeds. My appy is registered as Chestnut or Sorrel.

(It seems like we have this same question come up very frequently.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts