The Horse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OTTB seems to have dirty teeth? They are not
rotted or sharp. We’re going to have the vet come out soon but before we do just curious if anyone has seen this. He’s only 7. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,260 Posts
Your "tooth professional" will access if it is just stains or if it is residual build-up and a cleaning, scraping of needs done to the tooth surface.
Only "white" teeth I've ever seen were on babies...as horses age and mature they have been exposed to all sorts of ingested foods that can and do leave staining remnants on tooth surface a little at a time, but overtime stain the seen tooth surface.
I would not fret till the "tooth professional" says it is time to fret and be concerned.
A total/complete mouth exam is probably warranted to make sure all is good everywhere to all teeth.

My 15 year old just had his tooth checkup and had a bit of scraping done where he had a neighboring tooth have a issue that spread...now the ick removed he is good.
And yes, he has staining on his teeth but "healthy" teeth....just looks like he enjoys caffeine products, a lot!:rolleyes:
Do let us know how you make out with that look-see to happen soon.
🐴...

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
Ditto what HLG said:)

Howeverrrrr, lollol. Look at your horse’s canines and see how much plaque buildup they might have.

one of my horses had to have the vet pop the plaque off his teeth. The horse’s gums were just starting to turn red around the canines so I got the vet out before the infection really got bad.

Amazingly his plaque caps came off in solid pieces - I - just - happen - to - have - a - picture - of - them 😂😂

If you’re eating, you may want to push your plate away for a few:)

Yes, this honestly is plaque buildup on both bottom canine teeth. Be sure the vet checks these on your horse, because this horse has really clean teeth by horse standards.
Brown Plant Wood Natural material Metal

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ditto what HLG said:)

Howeverrrrr, lollol. Look at your horse’s canines and see how much plaque buildup they might have.

one of my horses had to have the vet pop the plaque off his teeth. The horse’s gums were just starting to turn red around the canines so I got the vet out before the infection really got bad.

Amazingly his plaque caps came off in solid pieces - I - just - happen - to - have - a - picture - of - them 😂😂

If you’re eating, you may want to push your plate away for a few:)

Yes, this honestly is plaque buildup on both bottom canine teeth. Be sure the vet checks these on your horse, because this horse has really clean teeth by horse standard.
View attachment 1116034

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
As above, may well be normal. But I have seen a lot of ottb horses with bad teeth/lots of plaque & I'm guessing that's from all the processed feed & lack of hay/grazing they get.

Walkin, I do check my horses, but only one I've seen who regularly had that sort of thing was my donkey - for some reason he always got lots of buildup & the dentist showed me how to break it away with pliers, it would often come off in big chunks like that.

·
Registered
376 Posts
But why???? Not like they're going to be toothpaste models. Clean off plaque, for sure, have them assessed by a professional absolutely, but who cares if they're just stained?
I honestly wouldn't care if my horses teeth were stained it's not like it's affecting their beauty!

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
@loosie, my OTTB gets plaque on his canines the vet pops off every year during his dentals. Just had it done today. He's on an all rougage/no grain diet for several years now.

I suspect there may be a genetic component to TBs getting plaque. It is that way with dog breeds. A vet told me Papillons have "bad saliva," meaning the Ph causes their teeth and gums to have issues. Other dog breeds have similar dental tendencies, so it would make sense horses might too. I've certainly noticed with dogs, cats and horses that some will have plaque while others don't on the same diet.

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
People are the same way. Some build plaque and some don't. Diet may not help but even those with a healthy diet have it if they are prone to building it. There have been studies linking plaque build up in the mouth to the tendency to build plaque elsewhere in the body.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The teeth look pretty normal to me, would think regular cleaning would be fine.

I looked at the teeth on a 2 month old foal and was quite surprised they were not bright shiny white. They were a sort of light yellow brown already. I didn’t see him at birth but can’t imagine they got stained so quickly. I don’t think they start so white from the beginning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts