The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I work my horse, he gets white discharge from his nostrils. Is this normal or something I should be concerned about?:?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
How thick is it? Is it coming from both nostrils?
In my opinion if it was everytime you ride, I would get the vet out for a listen. Or you could do it yourself with a stethoscope. I know a horse at the barn I work at who has white, think, nasty, discharge that you would think the horse is sick, but she's not. The vet said it was because of her hay.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If it's a large amount of thick mucus I would think some kind of a Rhino virus (upper resp), and if it is accompanied by any coughing, listlesness or change in appetite I would call your vet.
If the discharge is very thin, white and ina trickle it sounds like allergy. 'Tis the season for allergies! If the horse shows no other symptoms I would tend not to be overly concerned about it. If there are other allergy synptoms there are management stepd you can take to help out your horse.
As always, if you are quite concerned, consult your vet.

·
Registered
965 Posts
It's just hard to try and tell you what it is without a picture. Could you possibly post a picture. Here's what I think anyways. It's either an upper respiratory infection or as whitefoot stated, it could be her hay. Does it smell bad?? That's also an indication of infection.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yea it's nothing to worry about. Although I've never seen it on any of my horses but if it's the texture of the foamy sweat that they get between their legs, than that's probably all it is. I think it would be similar to you if you were to work real hard and your nose started getting runny. The more you (the horses as well) inhale through their nose, the more debris that get trapped in the hairs and mucousa so it runs to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea it's nothing to worry about. Although I've never seen it on any of my horses but if it's the texture of the foamy sweat that they get between their legs, than that's probably all it is. I think it would be similar to you if you were to work real hard and your nose started getting runny. The more you (the horses as well) inhale through their nose, the more debris that get trapped in the hairs and mucousa so it runs to get rid of it.
that makes sense. thanks!:D

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
That looks exactly like the discharge that comes out of my mare's nose. I asked the vet about it and got a simple answer:

Allergies.

Totally normal :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.