The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Horse Lovers!

I tried introducing turmeric (+ omega oil) to my horse, but I am not seeing a huge difference and it's honestly a bit fussy to deal with the oil. When the supplement runs out, I don't plan to continue its use.

I understand the importance of slowly introducing a supplement or grain, but do the same rules apply when discontinuing? Or, is it generally safe to simply stop using a supplement such as turmeric when it runs out?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
Yeah, it's perfectly safe to just stop.

What changes were you looking to see? Many nutritional supps take quite a while to 'come through' so that you see obvious changes. Often you won't SEE obvious or huge changes at all. Doesn't mean they're not happening. And many times specific supps like that may only be part of the picture that needs... colouring! Eg. curacumin which is the active ingredient in turmeric should be fed with some form of fat - you'd have that covered with omega 3 oil - and black pepper or chilli or such(forget active ingred.). And omega 3 may be not enough to balance the omega 6 & 9 that may be in the diet too, or fed with carb rich feed, so doesn't count for much... Have you done a diet analysis and do you supp any other nutrients, or found your horse particularly lacking/imbalanced in any?

As for 'fussiness' of feeding oil, is it because you've nowhere appropriate to keep it in the feed room so have to get it from the fridge all the time or something? Keeping it in a little esky or such, if the feed room is too warm should usually be fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts