The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have the horse moving hindquarters over on the ground, does that transfer over into saddle work or is there another training step?

·
Registered
366 Posts
You are going to want to learn a bit more about this action you are referring to and then re phrase your question.

At this point you are not asking a question that makes any sense... Sorry

BTW YouTube is a great tool for learning these sort of things.

I think you may be asking about how to get your horse using there hindquarters.
Go to YouTube and search "hindquarters Horse" and hopefully you will find videos on exactly what you are looking for.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I use both hand cue and voice cue to teach them to disengage the hindquarters. I place my hand where my leg will go and I say "over" and apply pressure. Once the horse is doing it consistently on both sides, I will start asking for it under saddle. I place my leg and apply pressure while saying "over". Most pick it up very quickly, if you have a "special" horse that has trouble making the connection between ground work and ridden work, have someone place their hand next to your leg and apply pressure. Even the most short bus riding horse picks it up if you break the steps down even further.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use both hand cue and voice cue to teach them to disengage the hindquarters. I place my hand where my leg will go and I say "over" and apply pressure. Once the horse is doing it consistently on both sides, I will start asking for it under saddle. I place my leg and apply pressure while saying "over". Most pick it up very quickly, if you have a "special" horse that has trouble making the connection between ground work and ridden work, have someone place their hand next to your leg and apply pressure. Even the most short bus riding horse picks it up if you break the steps down even further.
I like that. I will try that.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
It also helps to tip the nose a little on the same side as the leg applying pressure. By tip the nose, turn the head until you can just see the eye without leaning sideways. The rein holds the head and the hind will move away so the horse can straighten out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It also helps to tip the nose a little on the same side as the leg applying pressure. By tip the nose, turn the head until you can just see the eye without leaning sideways. The rein holds the head and the hind will move away so the horse can straighten out.
Yup, I was doing that (in saddle) but he was ignoring the moving the hind end over. That was before going back to ground work tho. He needed a refresher course :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
I tip the nose in the direction of the hind quarter I am moving and use my leg till he comes off then release. I like to do it over and over in a session until they become fluid and smooth then quit them. On the ground I use the tip of my hand and place it where my foot would go to teach them before I do it from their back.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.