The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
That would probably create a lot of resentfulness and all that jazz...
To quote Roman: "Yupp"

P.S. I've picked up a lot of good information from this site. Part of the process for this 'good information' is the debate over it that sometimes happens -- and, selfishly, that's where I've learned the most by forcing myself to look at all the arguments presented to form my own opinions and strategies that will make my horse life better. I'd hate to see dissenting replies diminish from fear of being 'disliked' into submission.

·
Administrator
35,936 Posts
Not liking a post doesn't mean you dislike it - it could just mean you haven't seen it.
I would hate to see people being worried about posting an opinion in case others 'disliked it' - after all we are supposed to respect other member's rights to have an opinion
So sorry - as far as I'm concerned - not something we want here.

·
Registered
49,000 Posts
To quote Roman: "Yupp"

P.S. I've picked up a lot of good information from this site. Part of the process for this 'good information' is the debate over it that sometimes happens -- and, selfishly, that's where I've learned the most by forcing myself to look at all the arguments presented to form my own opinions and strategies that will make my horse life better. I'd hate to see dissenting replies diminish from fear of being 'disliked' into submission.
EXACTLY! well said.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Not liking a post doesn't mean you dislike it - it could just mean you haven't seen it.
I would hate to see people being worried about posting an opinion in case others 'disliked it' - after all we are supposed to respect other member's rights to have an opinion
So sorry - as far as I'm concerned - not something we want here.
Agreed, I've never opted to use the like feature on this forum. Doesn't mean that I dislike every post on here, just that I don't necessarily see the point in doing so.

I agree that it could cause a lot of resentment. If you disagree with something you're more than welcome to reply with your own point of view! The back and forth nature of forum discussions is a good thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
just remember , do not be rude in your discussion. Sometimes things read as rude when they are not meant to be rude. i as well of others have been guilty of this. And remember if you
do upset someone an apology is rarely refused. ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Practically every forum I've been on which has or added a dislike posts option gets problems with it. You see whilst its a silly little thing that shouldn't hurt anyone people get really stupid with them.

You get fights were someone and all their friends goes around "disliking" another persons posts because they had an argument (typically over something trivial); or because they just don't like them.

Then you get people who fly into a rage if anyone dislikes their post (esp if they dislike without saying anything in a post in the thread).

I've only been on one site where it works and that is a site with a tiny active user base so everyone knows each other and its generally seen as a bit of fun (its more a positive/negative score there so some have an "all red" negative bar that they are proud of and ask people to give them "negatives" instead of positives so they can keep their red bar).

In general I'd say a positive reinforcement element works and is constructive to the community; a negative one only fails.

Interestingly on the subject of positive reinforcement I saw a site go from "thanks" to "likes". All that changed was the term; the whole function worked exactly the same both ways. However how users treated and used the feature changed very quickly - thanks once given for helpful posts suddenly changed to likes that were used on quips and jokes and snarky comments (which thusly increased to some degree before easing off)

·
Registered
870 Posts
honestly, I think it would just add drama.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
169 Posts
COTH had this for a few weeks. Everyone hated it. I agree it would be useful if everyone were kind, had good judgement, never acted rashly, and never made mistakes. LOL.

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's merely a common courtesy gesture. A sign of support. You either don't respond or agree (like) their comment. It is a bit mean spirited to leave a negative retort. It simply isn't necessary nor is it in good taste.

I like your hair. :)
I don't like your hair. :)
No need for the latter.

If we allowed likes and dislikes it would totally change the purpose and enjoyment of the Forum. Let it be.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
just remember , do not be rude in your discussion.
What's rude is often in the eye of the beholder.

Telling someone something they don't want to hear is often interpreted as "rude" or "disliked" by the person on the receiving end even when it might be perfectly valid and factual advice that others like quite a lot. :wink:

In that case a "dislike" feature is open to a lot of abuse. I agree with others, if you don't like a post a polite (or at least tactful) response is an option versus a "dislike" option. Or just ignore it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.