The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m looking for horse treat recipes I can make at home with the ingredients I have in the pantry. I have:
• Flour
• Oats
• Molasses
• Honey
And in my head it seems like these would combine to make a dough of some sort. I just can’t find a recipe with measurements and bake timings/temperatures? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
It seems like when we did treat making as a rescue fundraiser they also used peanut butter and oil. It gives you some fat and protein as a “moisture” rather than more sugar.
They didn’t really have us measure much, the “recipe” was a guideline and you added enough liquid/moisture to make them roll into balls and hold shape. If too wet add a little flour or meal.
They weren’t baked, just refrigerated and used fresh.
If you really want baked try looking for granola bar recipes and adapting them!

·
Registered
688 Posts
This probably isn't what you're looking for. I do it because I use as much time as I have with my horses for riding and cut out as much not-riding horse time as I can. I give my horses slices of sweet potato (batata). They love it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I know in the UK you measure by weight and not volume, so I apologize for this American version.

Ultimate Horse Cookie

1 carrot
1 apple
1/2 cup molasses or honey
2 cups oats
1/2-3/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon water (optional)

Preheat oven to 300-325 degrees (F). Grate and finely chop carrot and apple. Mix together all ingredients. Roll and press into balls with your hands, about 1 inch or so is diameter. If dough is too sticky, simply add more flour. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake 28-32 minutes, checking on them often, until golden brown. Cool. Store in a sealed container and use within a week.

*It's completely fine to tweak the ingredients for what you have on hand. (I didn't use a carrot because I didn't have one for example)

*I used oatmeal for the oats.

Hope your horses enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts