The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
40 years ago Dad (rip) had 3 horses. He had me watch farrier, then it was my job.
Long time ago, I remember somewhat but need assistance as we got our first mare last week. We crosstied her in stable and she's a sweetheart. Calm...lifts her feet (she's 21, never shod). Hooves in good shape and my attitude is less is more. So clean, then file trimmed to even them.
I wondered what the best hoof knife would be? We watched YouTube videos...some were good.
She has a few minor cracks and I have White Lightning on order. I'm thinking that and diet is most important. She has good grazing pasture, good feed, hay, etc.
We'll get a farrier within a few weeks (farrier & vet highly recommended by horse owners next door).
I want to trim hooves like I did years ago, it wasn't that difficult once you know correct technique.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
No suggestions on knife brand, but watch and read ELPO materials. Its a pretty straight forward method that's easy to get a handle on when starting to do your own.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No suggestions on knife brand, but watch and read ELPO materials. Its a pretty straight forward method that's easy to get a handle on when starting to do your own.
Thanks! Hope I don't sound stupid but what are ELPO materials?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
I had to give up trimming thanks to the proverbial bad back but I still keep my tools handy in case my barefoot horse needs something between farrier visits. I still have the hoof nippers grandad gave me for my 12th Cnristmas in 1959,mane gave me endless lessons on using them:)

My first thought is don't buy cheap:), but you don't need top of the line either.

I am ambidextrous so I buy both left and right hand hoof knives -- boy is that handy :):)

Diamond hoof knives at Stockhoffs (I buy from Stockhoffs for a lot of things:) are pretty good for the money. Or you might find them cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.stockhoffsonline.com/acatalog/Hoof_Knives_Diamond_Forge.html

You could spend more if you care to but I sure wouldn't spend less. Also buy yourself a hoof knife sharpener:)

Even though I did buy new hoof nippers, I rarely used them because I kept the hooves filed down often enough that I didn't need the knippers.

My preference for rasps is Valorbie's "milder" rasp (they make two styles) or a Belotta rasp. Again, a little more money but you get value received and they last longer than something at Tractor Supply:)

You will find varying opinions regarding trimming methods -- nere is mine, lollol

If your horses hooves are healthy and are NOT special needs like one of mine is --- let your memory serve you as to how your father taught you.

I trimmed my horses off/on my whole adult life (when money was tight), using the method my grandad taught me. I never had hoof issues, I never sored a horse. And by gosh, some of the things I had read on Pete Ramey's site a few years back were in the same vein as what granddad had taught me, just fancier words:)

If you have a horse with any degree of club hoof, has dealt with laminitis in past, has navicular, or maybe has inherent structural issues that make it move different, then that's a whole different ball game that requires special care by a farrier who has been trained to deal with those issues:)

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
Learn the anatomy & function of hooves & their parts, so you understand the *principles* of how/where/why to trim. My site is geared towards education horse owners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.