Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this?

My foxtrotter mare was pulled from a kill pen with another fox trotter. I think it is possible she has papers somewhere that were lost. I would love to know her history and what happened prior to her ending up where she did.

My mare has a lovely temperament, nice gaits, and is really well trained. I suspect she may have been used as a broodmare at some point (baggy teats).

For $100, I could get her DNA tested and the registry will check for matches. The association does DNA testing on all broodmares, stallions, and some foals if they are gold papered. Not sure what year they started DNA testing. My mare is 13 years old.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I have a loose pen Paso Fino I've considered have DNA tested. It's about a 50/50 shot whether he was ever registered based on the information I have received about where he likely came from. I just haven't gotten around to shelling out the money when it really doesn't make any difference since he's a gelding, and such a hothead he's currently not worth much!

Now, if you would ever consider breeding your mare, it would be something worth doing.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have been on the fence about DNA testing my rescue Morgan mare through the Morgan Horse Association - if I decide to considering breeding her one day, I will definitely be DNA testing her. She is very, very typey, and I would be very surprised if she isn't a registered Morgan.

Reactions: Kalraii
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.