The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I must admit I ride western and don't know anyone who rides English, at least not for the past 15 years or so. And the girl I new way-back-when who rode English was a trail rider like myself.

So I have been watching some horse videos, and today a little RFDTV and everytime I hear an English rider do that "purring" sound to stop the horse, it kind of surprises me and makes me laugh.

Is that something all English riders are taught? Where did that usage come from, is it a European thing maybe? I have only ever heard riders use the word "whoa" out here in Arizona. But everyone I ride with rides trail and western.

I'm not sure I could make the purring sound if I had to! :lol: So is that a common command for "whoa" and I have just never been exposed to it before?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I have no idea what your talking about, and I ride what would generally be considered english! I don't say anything to stop, I just ask with my aids :]

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't know, but I find it quite funny. xDD

I ride an an english/dressage barn and I only noticed my BO/trainer doing it last year and it's been passed on to a couple of her students. She usually only does it when she is lunging the horse or when the horse she is riding needs to calm down or slow down, not come to a complete stop.

I'm don't think I could "purr" either! I usually just say "easy" or "HooOOoo" and drag it out in a low tone. Works just as well, I think. ;)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I know what you are talking about, and its more of a soothing sound than an actual purr. Its actually something a lot of people do in the European countries from what a trainer told me. I had honestly never heard anyone do it before her, which was why I asked her about it. Now how true her statement was I have no idea, but I know that she's trained herself with a lot of olympic riders from various different countries, so maybe thats where she got it from.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Lol. I agree. I'd rather just say easy, or whoa, and drag it out a bit in a nice easy smooth tone, than try and imitate that "purring" noise. Besides I feel much less self concious saying something than I would if I were trying to "purr".

·
Registered
780 Posts
I know what you are talking about, and its more of a soothing sound than an actual purr. Its actually something a lot of people do in the European countries from what a trainer told me. I had honestly never heard anyone do it before her, which was why I asked her about it. Now how true her statement was I have no idea, but I know that she's trained herself with a lot of olympic riders from various different countries, so maybe thats where she got it from.
That's interesting. Maybe that's how my BO/trainer picked it up because she got her formal training in England.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I had an english trained horse several years ago. She only knew "halt" as a verbal command to stop. I still say halt once in awhile when I mean whoa.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
never heard of anyone purring at their horse. When my horse is worked up or I want her to whoa or slow down I say either "eeeeaaassyyyyy" in a very light tone or "whooooooa"

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have never seen that before... hmmmm well I just pull back or squeeze the reins! My trainer says to say whoa but I don't really say it:)But I wanna see a vid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i ride western and english. and i never heard of "purring" lol. when i ride i dont say anything its all in my body movements.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm. I'll have to see if I can track down a video. What I was watching today on RFD TV was called "Horse & Country" and it was a British (I think) guy doing a dressage demonstration.

I also heard it on a video that was posted here at the horse forum a while back. I *think* it was perhaps Anky(sp?) when she was demonstrating long and low, or long and deep, or rolkur? I dunno, I get all the dressage stuff in a jumble! But the dressage people seem to do it the most.

If I find a video I will post it. But if anyone else knows of a video offhand and wants to post it, that would be great too!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I know just what you're talking about! A few people at my barn (including my trainer) make this noise and I also saw that same show you're referring to. It definitely seems to be exclusively in the dressage world from my observation.
At my barn I hear it mostly used to slow down a gait, not stop, though. They still use "woah" or "hoe" to stop.
I prefer to use eeeeeeasy to slow my guy down and hoooooe to stop. But I was raised in a western saddle, so I may not be the best example ;)

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Okay, at 1:18 in this video, Anky makes the "purrr" to stop. Does anyone know what it is called? I just call it a "purr" because I don't know what else to call it, lol!

·
Registered
444 Posts
it didn't show up I think you have to click the link button

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I use it to get my horses to slow down on the lunge and occasionally undersaddle. To stop I use "whoa".
It doesn't have a name in English really... It's the same as saying "easy". My horses understand it to mean to slow down in a gait, like clucking means to go faster in a gait.
Totally a European thing, a lot of North Americans don't get it. I picked it up off Kyra Kyrkland, and when I had a mare from Europe she didn't know English voice cues so I had to use the purr noise.

I actually had a manager at a barn I was working some young horses at ream me out for using it...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
^ What on earth? Why would they have such a problem with it? That sounds very silly.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
weird !

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.