Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
A few days ago when it reached midday on a hot day, I felt really bad as I realized my horse was wearing her 100g winter rug. I rushed out to take it off and was surprised to find she wasn't hot at all, not cold but no where near hot. The next day I took off her rug at 9.00 in the morning and by the afternoon my hand hurt by touching her back as it was so hot (She is plain bay) The day with her rug on was hotter so I am no confused.
I wouldn't want to leave a winter rug on her during the heat but will a mesh fly rug keep her cooler than she would if she wasn't wearing a rug at all?

Sorry if this is a stupid question
Thanks

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I think sometimes the fly sheets can act as sun protection and keep a horse a bit cooler. It's probably like people wearing sun shirts, if their skin doesn't heat up from the sun it can actually feel a little cooler even with long sleeves on.
My mare has a Boett fly blanket she wears sometimes and she never seems hot or sweaty underneath it on warm days.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
They do help keep them less hot, my mare has a mesh fly sheet, very very light - she has never sweated underneath, even on a very hot, humid day.
I've only used it a few times this year, as the flies haven't been too bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.