The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Canada where sometimes the weather drops down to -30°C, sometimes colder. My horses will have a round bale in pasture with them and they’ll have a shelter so will they need blankets?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
They'll probably be fine.

If they are adjusted to our weather, grow a half decent coat, and aren't hard keepers, most horses do fine even in the deep freezes when provided ample hay and shelter from the wind.

·
Registered
14,620 Posts
If they have a place to get out of the wind, doesn't have to be a barn, could be a thick stand of trees, and they are in good health, they don't need blankets. If you want them to stay clean, if you like adjusting blankets and possibly repairing and replacing them throughout the winter, sure go for it! In my over half century of owning horses, I only blanketed them one year, NEVER AGAIN! I had to replace two of them and I repaired others about four times, mind you I do own a known blanket Shredder.

·
Super Moderator
14,686 Posts
Some horses need blankets....some do not.

Providing all the hay they can eat, a shelter of man-made or natural trees...sometimes just is not enough.
Your horses will let you know by how they look, act and appear.
There is no right or wrong answer as the answer is animal specific.
Personally, I would err on having turnout blankets and sheet at the ready & available even if they are not used than to need and not have.
Sometimes it is also only needed a waterproof turnout sheet {no insulation} to keep the animal dry that allows them to stay warm...
Being wet, not necessarily to the skin either, and or then caught in a wind can be more damaging than very cold temperatures.
I also sheet my horses when winds are forecast to be high and cold temperatures as the windbreak the sheet provides also helps a animal to stay comfortably warm.
Horses can lose a incredible amount of heat when they fight windy conditions and even worse is they fight wet and wind conditions...
There is a time and place for offering protection, and a time and place to leave them be..most important though is to watch, read the body language your horse presents to know what to do and when.
:runninghorse2:....

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
I live in Canada where sometimes the weather drops down to -30°C, sometimes colder. My horses will have a round bale in pasture with them and they’ll have a shelter so will they need blankets?

Most healthy horses that are able to grow a full winter coat and have access to windbreak, food, and water, do just fine in cold temperatures.

Usually the only horses that need blankets are ones that have health issues, are underweight, or are elderly.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Most healthy horse's can handle the cold just fine without being blanketed. Cold wet and windy can make for a cold horse. That has no wind break ,or some kind of shelter.

I have blanketed when its really cold snowy and windy once weather clears blankets come off. Free choice hay water that's not frozen...they'll be fine. Horse's handle cold much better then hot humid and buggy.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Depends on the horse. I blanket my horse only in super cold temps/if it snows/storms in the winter. Sometimes I put a light sheet on her too, but she gets a pretty nice thick winter coat, so it's not always necessary. She's naked a lot in the winter.
I was never a fan of overblanketing...like when it's not necessary.
My old BO used to over-blanket a lot & horses would have so many rubs/skin issues. When I used to board there, she told me to put a heavy blanket on my horse RIGHT after I rode, & she was sweating (so was I, LOL)! I was like, heck no I'm not throwing a heavy blanket on her. :icon_rolleyes: There's a lot they can handle. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.