The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! It’s almost March, temps are still gettting as low as 35 here in California but my horse is starting to shed off his winter coat! Do I just clip him? Hair is getting everywhere in the stall and barn, even if I use a product like sleekez theres still a lot of hair, what do you guys think? Is it still too cold for me to clip?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ok, thank you, I was just wondering I live in riverside county and there is hair everywhere 😝
Yea i mean you can but i would atleast have a waterproof light fill/no fill blanket on hand in case. But it’s not really necessary if you can ignore the shedding. I just make sure to do a decent deshed daily.

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
My trainer told me that when horses are clipped while their summer coat is growing in the summer coat will be marred in some way. I don't know what that means but it doesn't sound good.

marred: adjective blemished , blighted , bruised , cankered, contaminated , corrupted , crippled , damaged , defaced, defective , deformed , despoiled , disabled ...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you are working your horse enough to make them sweat and would prefer to save cooking down time then clip and blanket.
An Irish or modified clip may be enough for what you need. And blanketing may or may not be required depending on where you are.
I have been clipping working horses for the A circuit for decades. Clipping at any point will NEVER ruin a coat, but if you have a black, bay or chestnut, you may need a full weeks to get back to full vibrancy of coat. Sooner with a hot oil treatment, but I recommend 4-6 weeks before a major show for a dark colored horse. Light horses can usually get away with two weeks just to grow out the odd clipper mark. Most greys can be done the day before a show as long as you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
My horse is a black bay and I don't want him marred, however temporarilly. My trainer has help to walk and cool out horses, that is what I am paying for. He does have a blanket.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My horse is a black bay and I don't want him marred, however temporarilly. My trainer has help to walk and cool out horses, that is what I am paying for. He does have a blanket.
Marred? Marred is when a person who has no clue how to clip goes at a horse and then doesn’t finish the job.

But a professional clipper a a professional barn who knows that they are doing- I think, a horse in winter looks put together much better than a shaggy winter beast. But I have been a show groom for a long time.

I have clipped black bay horses and they have shown in international shows the next day or week, their coat may not have the dark richness though. But the shine is there because of a quality feed and grooming program.

If he is sweating up during work, it is better for him to be clipped then to get sick by staying damp too long.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
My professional trainer, who also clips horses for sale and show told me that right now Arago is shedding his yak-like winter coat and clipping him now will also clip the summer coat hair tips. In a trace clip this will look odd for a long time. I do not want this. So, he will have to continue being walked until dry by the stable help. This means he has to continue to be worked in the AM so he will not be put away damp.

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
Marred? Marred is when a person who has no clue how to clip goes at a horse and then doesn’t finish the job.

But a professional clipper a a professional barn who knows that they are doing- I think, a horse in winter looks put together much better than a shaggy winter beast. But I have been a show groom for a long time.

I have clipped black bay horses and they have shown in international shows the next day or week, their coat may not have the dark richness though. But the shine is there because of a quality feed and grooming program.

If he is sweating up during work, it is better for him to be clipped then to get sick by staying damp too long.

well, I had heard the same information as the person who thought it was not a good idea. And, from the question raised by the OP, he is not a professional. Might be best he just were patient and let his horse shed out, or hire a clipper to do it for him.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My professional trainer, who also clips horses for sale and show told me that right now Arago is shedding his yak-like winter coat and clipping him now will also clip the summer coat hair tips. In a trace clip this will look odd for a long time. I do not want this. So, he will have to continue being walked until dry by the stable help. This means he has to continue to be worked in the AM so he will not be put away damp.
Your trainer is wrong. I have clipped thousands of horses and all of them, within 4 weeks have their normal coats when properly cared for. We have to repeat clips because of guard hairs done early, but have many horses on a 3/4 week schedule for winter show schedules, and they look just as good as my winter hooligans (the unclipped on break horses).
They really are fine. I promise. It is a myth.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,076 Posts
I see shedding as a rite of passage. Spring wouldn't be the same without it!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
"repeating clips on guard hairs done early"- that must be what she is talking about. I don't want to have a repeat clip
done. She charges $75 a clip.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ok. But a horse clipped this time of year often doesn’t need a reclip. I am about to do my personal horses. They get Jan/feb off due to ice and me not liking to haul to the indoor because of it.
But they probably won’t need to be done again. The horses done before January and going to BIG SHOWS and need to look like a million dollars, we do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts