The Horse Forum banner

Grey or Bay?

• Grey

• Bay

Do I have a grey or bay foal?

2884 30
Hi everyone. I had a little filly born 2 days ago and I’m stumped to what colour she is. Posted on a few Facebook genetic groups and the answers are either bay, grey or red. (She’s definitely not red in person, got the stud owner to confirm, light might throw it a different way).
We had a family friend come out (big breeding farm) to have a look at her and he’s putting money on she’s bay. He knows the sire and swears every grey foal that he throws has come out with distinct grey goggles and very dark hyperpigmentation, especially on the legs. I’m not sure how credible that is as I’m sure every foal is different. Some people in the group said that as she had dark skin as a newborn she was grey, but I’ve since learned that that only applies to red based foals and bays have dark skin from birth. I intend on getting her tested in the future but thought it might be fun to have a couple guesses.
S
Nature Grass Fawn Plant Terrestrial animal
Hair Head Eye Plant Working animal
Hair Elephant Sky Vertebrate Plant
Horse Plant Liver Working animal Grass
kangaroo Red kangaroo Macropodidae Grass Plant
Hair Horse Cloud Eye Sky
Nature Grass Fawn Plant Terrestrial animal

Hair Horse Cloud Eye Sky

kangaroo Red kangaroo Macropodidae Grass Plant

Hair Elephant Sky Vertebrate Plant

Horse Plant Liver Working animal Grass

Hair Head Eye Plant Working animal

She has no white eyelashes if it’s difficult to see. Thanks!!
Sire: Gg Ee crcr A(?)
Dam: ee (Haflinger, not tested)
Also a question. She was born with a very grey muzzle but on day 2, it’s started to darken to dark brown/black. Is this normal?
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,093 Posts
I see what maybe in top two but not bottom two. Give it more time and see if goggles
Brown Horse Eyelash Liver Snout
Nose Brown Eyebrow Eyelash Horse
Brown Head Horse Eye Eyelash
Nose Horse Sky Eyelash Cloud
come in.

· Super Moderator
17,093 Posts
Interesting. I'm wondering now about lighting as I've not seen a red going gray with legs that look black or what appear to be ear tips.

· Registered
28 Posts
@Agheera your foal is bay. Brown phenotype. Likely EEAa. A black horse would have no brown/tan/cinnamon on the muzzle. Your horse will never be as light as the dam but may lighten a small amount at the next shed this is the dark foal coat that happens after foal camo shed. That horse has a dilution gene acting on body color. Can't tell from the picture if cream or dun though I suspect dun. Nd1 which is part of the dun group would be primitives without dilition but there can be excessive fading in blacks and dark brown bays of the body. Suspect that if there are primitive markings and new coats come in rich then fade over the season. My black and dark bays are homozygous for nd1 and body fade to a rich honey color. Until they fade they are so dark you don't see the primitives.
Dam is ee. Foal absolutely cannot be EE

· Registered
28 Posts
This foal is quite clearly hyper pigmented and will grey out.
I’m not quite sure what everyone else is looking at to see a bay foal.
Bay base is possible but I can’t see ear tips to determine.
I would want to say red going grey but bay going grey is also possible.

· Registered
28 Posts
I disagree here, I believe that your foal is grey and the reason that she looks bay is because she’s hyper pigmented red.
mare is red with pangaré. Extension ee, agouti ?, no cream and positive pangaré

I would think baby is most likely ee agouti?? crcr Gg

I’m Not sure why anyone looks at this foal and thinks no grey

· Registered
2013 Andalusian Gelding
81 Posts
Hi everyone. I had a little filly born 2 days ago and I’m stumped to what colour she is. Posted on a few Facebook genetic groups and the answers are either bay, grey or red. (She’s definitely not red in person, got the stud owner to confirm, light might throw it a different way).
We had a family friend come out (big breeding farm) to have a look at her and he’s putting money on she’s bay. He knows the sire and swears every grey foal that he throws has come out with distinct grey goggles and very dark hyperpigmentation, especially on the legs. I’m not sure how credible that is as I’m sure every foal is different. Some people in the group said that as she had dark skin as a newborn she was grey, but I’ve since learned that that only applies to red based foals and bays have dark skin from birth. I intend on getting her tested in the future but thought it might be fun to have a couple guesses.
S View attachment 1129776 View attachment 1129771 View attachment 1129772 View attachment 1129773 View attachment 1129774 View attachment 1129775 View attachment 1129776
View attachment 1129775
View attachment 1129774
View attachment 1129772
View attachment 1129773
View attachment 1129771
She has no white eyelashes if it’s difficult to see. Thanks!!
Sire: Gg Ee crcr A(?)
Dam: ee (Haflinger, not tested)
Also a question. She was born with a very grey muzzle but on day 2, it’s started to darken to dark brown/black. Is this normal?
I have no idea what color she'll be, but WHAT A CUTIE!!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts