The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a palomino gelding I'm prepping for some showmanship classes this summer as I can't prep for under-saddle classes (I'm pregnant). He's reining bred and has the most beautiful long mane....and I can't bring myself to cut it off. Can I do showmanship with a diamond braid or runnig braid? I'm not doing breed shows, just local shows. I just don't want us to look silly - me being huge and preggo and him looking funky with his long mane! I'll cut it if I have to but it will be a sad day...

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I would say out of the two the running braid might be more acceptable, honestly I have no idea, but I don't see why a running braid would be unacceptable...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If they're just local shows, I say go with the running braid. It probably won't matter all that much.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I think I saw it posted by someone else that a diamond braid was allowed.

Thats what I'm doing cause I just cant cut my fillies mane!

·
Registered
206 Posts
LOL...just leave it long. I know a lot of AQHA people showing with long manes this year....right on up to World level. I predict this to be a new trend. You'll be ahead of the game at the local level. :)

Let us know how you do!!

Pam
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
When I did more western showmanship I had a gaited/morgan cross with a gorgeous long mane. I tried a lot of different things over the years that I showed him, but I usually either left it loose (shampooed, tangle-free, and trained to the correct side, but loose), or banded it long (got some odd looks, but it worked). A running braid should work, but is more conventional in English G&S divisions on Morgans, H/J Gaiteds, or Baroque breeds.

One thing that I never got to try was starting the diamond continental pattern, getting one row of diamonds down the crest, and letting the rest of the mane flow. I'm waiting on Scout's puffy pony mane to get long enough to try that one. :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about doing just a few rows of the diamond braid and letting the rest flow. It's down to the point of the shoulder so I think it will look nice.

^^Pam, I noticed a few of the yearling LL horses at congress with long manes. I think it looked cool. Just wasn't to sure if it was cool in showmanship!

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you are going to do one go with the diamond braid. A running braid isn't ment for Quarter Horse Halter classes.

Although it is more common to have a short banded mane, the long main with a diamond/fish net braid is starting to come into style. Horse showing is all about trends. And if a horse with a long mane were to win worlds then people would start growing them out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Horse showing is all about trends. And if a horse with a long mane were to win worlds then people would start growing them out.
Already happened. :)

Actually, there's a number of top western pleasure horses showing with long manes these days. It really is a new trend.

@ the OP: I would just leave the mane long or do the diamond braid thing. Either/or...I think you'll be fine. :)

Pam

·
Super Moderator
26,924 Posts
No. Leave his mane long, reiners don't pull their manes. Band it. Don't do a braid or the diamond thing, this is western silly girl! Band that long mane. I see it all the time at shows.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^I've seen a few horses even at congress with diamond braids - so I was curious as to weather or not it was acceptable in showmanship. I for one am excited to see long manes come back into fashion!

·
Registered
277 Posts
LOL...just leave it long. I know a lot of AQHA people showing with long manes this year....right on up to World level. I predict this to be a new trend. You'll be ahead of the game at the local level. :)
Go ahead and leave it long. I am seeing more and more of it in local and smaller breed shows. As a matter of fact, my friend just won Aged Mare Halter Class in a huge Open show in March and she left her mare's mane long and unbraided. There were over 35 horses in her class. Just make sure the mane is clean, trimmed and shaped nicely, and add some sheen to make it glisten.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts

Let us know how you do!!

Pam
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for letting us know. I was wondering the same thing! I have never been able to cut any of my horse's manes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just as everyone else has said, leave it long! I know several people who have won at Showmanship with their horses mane long and natural at local shows. If you're really worried about it though I personally like the diamond braid. With a long mane though I think it looks better if you only do a couple rows and leave about three fourths of the mane free and flowy :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I showed both english and western with my mare, and i would only pull her mane to keep things even. I kept it way longer than was acceptable or "meant" for either riding style. I just braided it for English classes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No way!!!

No way girl leave it long just don't let it be a distraction...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm for sure leaving it long. He's a new horse to me and is shedding out into the coolest dark shade of sooty palomino - what a neat surprise! His flaxen mane looks so eye-catching with the coat colour!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.