The Horse Forum banner

Do I have to cut this hay sliver out of my finger?

2796 Views 28 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  My Salty Pony
I somehow managed to get a sliver of alfalfa hay under the skin right above one of my knuckles. That was two days ago. I tried squeezing and pinching it out, but it's entirely buried in there and I can't even figure out which way it went in. I have taken a couple of hot showers since then, but the warmth didn't, I don't know, open up my skin or anything. Am I going to have to get something and cut it out? Will it eventually come out on its own? It doesn't hurt and isn't bothering me at all, except mentally LOL.

Related: I am slowly becoming one with the alfalfa hay. I got a bunch of dust in my nose when I first got it, which I think mostly came out, and then this sliver, and then I went to blow my nose with a handkerchief I had in my pocket which I had alfalfa bits on it, and I guess I inhaled while I was there because I felt one of the bits go up my nose and into the back of my throat.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,525 Posts
If you know how to make the area and instrument sterile I often mutilate myself to get stuff out - surface splinters etc and let my immune system figure out the rest and have done for years. But we have the NHS to fall back on (unsure about your own situation). People have come in septic over a small graze so just need to keep an eye on any symptoms that might pop up. My knee injury was quite deep and I never did go a & e but I should have and was taking my temperature throughout the two nights it didn't stop bleeding (area made it hard). So extreme writing that out but just to be safe. I'm not one to take antibiotics for any little thing unless I'm really struggling and preferably knowing what best ones to use or after a culture etc. If you have a scalpel and tweezers go at it. Pick at it with a sterile needle to make an opening but that hurts a bit more obviously.

Just the other day I dug out three bramble thorns in my palm. Sheesh it hurts there! I'd much rather top of my fingers! Personally I would have done it already without thinking. If that's playing too risky given the healthcare situation there then either wait for your body to hopefully push it out or see a doctor.

· Super Moderator
18,528 Posts
Drawing salve might help...
I would try Ichthammol drawing salve...it black, gooey and stains anything it touches...beware!
You can buy it in any pharmacy department for people, or farm/tack store.
I have a economy sized tub for the horses I use on humans too {we use a lot it seems. :rolleyes: }
Liquid Ingredient Drink Font Solvent
Building Rectangle Font House Automotive exterior

Apply liberally over the entire area affected since you not know which direction it went in.
Apply a loose dressing like a gauze pad and tape in place or XL band-aid can work too...
For me, that often has the foreign body moving within a day out of my body...
If it remains, you need to see a doctor for removal since unless you can actually see it it could be deeper than you should be digging with no sanitary and antiseptic environment...sepsis is real and dangerous if not deadly when ignored.
If it splinters during removal it will create a infection for foreign material in your body, that hurts!
A current Tetanus booster is advised for any and all who work in what is considered a filthy environment prone to bad things happening in those unprotected. That be horses and barn environment....
🐴...

· Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured I could just get an exacto blade or a box knife and wipe it with an alcohol wipe before cutting, and that would disinfect it. I guess wipe my finger, too.

But @horselovinguy I will check out that drawing salve. Probably not a bad idea to have some on hand for the horses anyways.

Reactions: BethR

· Premium Member
51,795 Posts
I figured I could just get an exacto blade or a box knife and wipe it with an alcohol wipe before cutting, and that would disinfect it. I guess wipe my finger, too.

But @horselovinguy I will check out that drawing salve. Probably not a bad idea to have some on hand for the horses anyways.

that's what I would do. the body might work it out, with pus and pain, or 'incorporate ' it. Neither of which is desireable to me. snip snip, over and done!

· Registered
899 Posts
I’m sorry, @ACinATX, but “becoming one with the alfalfa” made me laugh out loud! When I was giving the horses hay yesterday evening in that dang wind, the wind blew a huge chunk right into my mouth as I was talking to my husband. Told him I guessed I had made my forage requirement for the day [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I usually just wait a couple days and then it pops right out.
That's what I wanted to hear LOL. I will go ahead and order the drawing salve because why not, but maybe in the meantime I will just wake up one day and it will be gone.

Or I will have started slowly turning green.

· Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take a piece of bacon, put it over the hay bit and then put a couple bandaids over it. In a couple days, you can pull the bandaids and the splinter might be out on the bacon. Beats the heck out of cutting your finger up.
Eww! I'd rather have the hay inside my finger than the bacon fermenting outside of my finger. Also the only bacon I have is vegan bacon which probably wouldn't work LOL.

· Registered
16,992 Posts
Eww! I'd rather have the hay inside my finger than the bacon fermenting outside of my finger. Also the only bacon I have is vegan bacon which probably wouldn't work LOL.
I think it's mainly the salt. I've tried drawing salve on stuff like that but it hasn't been real successful.

· Registered
536 Posts
I've had that happen before so many times... It's really annoying!
I always pull mine out after I've taken a long, hot shower and my fingers get all wrinkly. Makes it less painful and easier to pull out. And if you have to dig a little, your skin is softer after a shower which will make getting it out easier. 🙂

· Registered
7,232 Posts
I usually pick slivers out with a needle and tweezers, at least if they hurt. Sometimes they will get into a dead layer of skin and you don't even feel them and I suppose you could leave them, but if I don't feel it, then I might as well pick it out. I haven't had good luck letting things fester and pop out on their own and they usually hurt that way too. But that's just my experience. Not sure that's the right answer.

I've had a couple of slivers I didn't even know were there that sort of encapsulated and I picked them out much later as a hard bump in my skin, like "what the heck IS that? Oh, looks like a sliver." Not sure that helps! :LOL:

· Registered
1,004 Posts
Got any tomatoes?

true faxs. The enzymes in the tomato draw out woody fibers. I once got a nasty big splinter under my finger nail when I reached against the back wall of my hay shed to pick up a flake of hay. Did a Google search and saw something about tomatoes. Cut a slice, wrapped it over my hand and maybe about 20 minutes later, could pull the splinter out without mutilating myself.

· Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got any tomatoes?

true faxs. The enzymes in the tomato draw out woody fibers. I once got a nasty big splinter under my finger nail when I reached against the back wall of my hay shed to pick up a flake of hay. Did a Google search and saw something about tomatoes. Cut a slice, wrapped it over my hand and maybe about 20 minutes later, could pull the splinter out without mutilating myself.
OK this I will try. I have some of our "New Year's" tomatoes that I picked, just sitting out and going bad. I can cut up one of them.

Reactions: BethR
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.