The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat, Emmett, was eating grass on his front knees today. I looked out my window and he was on his front knees while his back legs were fully extended. Like ten minutes later I looked again, he was in a different part of the field but he was still on his front knees. I think it's so he's closer to the grass-that pig. I opened the window and once he saw me he hopped back to all four feet and walked over to me, wagging his tail. He's so cute:p

Do most goats do this?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
My goat, Emmett, was eating grass on his front knees today. I looked out my window and he was on his front knees while his back legs were fully extended. Like ten minutes later I looked again, he was in a different part of the field but he was still on his front knees. I think it's so he's closer to the grass-that pig. I opened the window and once he saw me he hopped back to all four feet and walked over to me, wagging his tail. He's so cute:p

Do most goats do this?
My girls did this all the time. I think you got it right, it's literally just piggishness. :lol:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Eating on their knees can be something certain goats like to do, but it usually is a good indicator of CAE (google it) if they are doing it a lot. Not a good thing at all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have your goats been tested for CAE? I have been raising AGS & ADGA goats for 8 years now and mine rarely graze on their knees, but mine are CAE and CL negative. While nursing, yes because it's easier to reach moms udder, but just grazing like in a pasture, most goats never eat graze like that unless their is an issue. Now yes, mine do occasionally eat like that when they are surrounding a hay bale, but grazing no, and they don't do it often and shouldn't.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Have your goats been tested for CAE? I have been raising AGS & ADGA goats for 8 years now and mine rarely graze on their knees, but mine are CAE and CL negative. While nursing, yes because it's easier to reach moms udder, but just grazing like in a pasture, most goats never eat graze like that unless their is an issue. Now yes, mine do occasionally eat like that when they are surrounding a hay bale, but grazing no, and they don't do it often and shouldn't.

That's a good point, and one that never occured to me. I had LaManchas, out of the Chalet line which were some of the best producers ever bred but also a bloodline absolutely rife with CAE. I only had two does I knew were CAE positive, but I took extreme measures (all babies were bottlefed pasturised milk, even heat treated colostrum) to prevent the spread to my uninfected does, and both groups, who were separated, both often grazed on their knees, particularly in new spring grass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.