The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.It had been a long time since I had a horse colic, and one did the day before yesterday, he is 27-30ish.
The Vet used bio sponge along with the mineral oil /water/ electrolytes.
We dewormed last week, horse acted fine. Had been on the new hay for about 4 days.
His gums were so pale and such a high heart rate we did not think he would make it through the night. We did have a temp drop, so I dont think he was drinking enough
He was given 2 diff pain meds to help with pain and loosen the colon.
Glad to say he is pooping and peeing again, but it was very iffy there for a few hours.:loveshower: He is still on banamine paste, and getting wet mashes, I soo shocked at the price of plain old wheat bran ! boy has the price of that stuff gone up here. I dont have to worry about it affecting his calcium levels, as the hay here is mainly alfalfa.
So everyone.. be sure to double check the amount of water your horse is drinking when the temps change ! Its an expensive reminder to check that water intake.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
So sorry you had go through a bout of colic with your horse. NOT FUN!!!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
So glad he's doing better, and continues to improve. I think when one of our horses colic, it's almost as stressful for us as them. My mare had a really bad case of gas colic last Friday night, had to wake my vet up after midnight because the banamine didn't touch her pain. I walked her for 90 minutes and had to keep her up every time she wanted to go down. All better in the morning after some torbogesic, and mineral oil.

This was 2 days before our first cold front. I usually start to put salt in their feed about 36 hours before the weather changes to induce more water intake. My poor vet had been up since 5:30 that morning treating colic cases and blister beetle poisoning. After the front came through, she posted that she was loving the weather but her equine clients had belly aches and she was rushing from one colic to the next!

If you feed a pelleted feed, you can use that to make a hot mash instead of wheat bran. I started my mare on her mash at 1/4 the normal amount the next night, and kept her on it until temps warmed up again. Once the cold weather sets in, they get hot mashes every day until spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hombres, yes I use a pelleted sr feed with the bran. Ace is now getting the sr/bran mash with psyllium , biosponge powder, red cell, corn oil to hlep it all stick and mix together. He has been having some huge piles . He is also being started back onto hay. Skinny flakes.
Beside the banamine he got a shot of buqosamine or phen..(?) or similar sounding and not sure how to spell it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.