The Horse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,904 Posts
I think the horse in the front looks spectacular. I don’t know if I’m missing something though. To me it looks fitted and shiny and taken care of. The horse in the back is harder for me to tell what I think, because of the angle of the panel. I can’t see if that is hip bone or muscle behind the panel. Just looking my gut wasn’t that he was starved or anything.

My gut is that they are used horses and very fitted up, and maybe he is a bit of a harder keeper. The pony may be a little fat, but it is really difficult to keep a pony from being fat.

·
Registered
421 Posts
@Mcanna20 Are these your horses?
Was thinking the same.
If they are not then, what has brought the question on?
while You see a bit of rib they don’t look thin. Possibly pasture fit/needing more muscling on their top lines but depending on age, health issues, hard keepers or not etc there could be a reason they aren’t thick.
My buckskin will look thick one second and the next she looks totally different. I’m short they look to be at an acceptable weight for the lack of information given.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they’re mine. They are both relatively new to me. When I got them they both seemed a bit over weight to me and so I adjusted their feed a few months ago to help get them into better shape.
I’m not a expert when it comes to horses and it’s hard for me to tell good body condition. I just wanted to see what others thought. I feel like the ribs shouldn’t be visible. I want to be sure that I’m not under feeding them.

thank you guys for your help.

(also, trying to get weight off the donkey, he’s kind of new too)

·
Super Moderator
17,450 Posts
Nope, they are in good weight. Being they are yours, do not allow them to get thinner nor obese...they look great.
First horse has a better top-line seen build of pelvic girdle {SI joint} so with part of it hidden behind the fence top rail assuming it has a bit more rounded butt . The horse with head up has a more angular butt called a "goose-rump" where his SI joint is set further back connected to the spine.
All are muscled, clean in appearance. Any of them would be welcome to come share my pastures.

Seeing a hint of rib is what a healthy horse has, not obese and so overweight the ribs are hidden under layers of fat.
When a horse breathes, moves in a walk and all other faster gaits seeing a ribcage ripple under the skin is what is known as #5 in Henneke Body Scoring...that is optimum.
There are thousands of resources to learn how to score and what to look for in wording and pictures associated with.
I gave you a master link of sites to spend time learning by reading over and over description and matching the pictures to the number...

The animals in that picture presented are fine....in fact the small one, pony, donkey or mini is bordering becoming obese in actuality. ;)

You have very nice animals seen...be very proud the care you give is apparent.
🐴.... jmo...

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama
894 Posts
Yes they’re mine. They are both relatively new to me. When I got them they both seemed a bit over weight to me and so I adjusted their feed a few months ago to help get them into better shape.
I’m not a expert when it comes to horses and it’s hard for me to tell good body condition. I just wanted to see what others thought. I feel like the ribs shouldn’t be visible. I want to be sure that I’m not under feeding them.

thank you guys for your help.

(also, trying to get weight off the donkey, he’s kind of new too)
Ok glad you are the owner of these horses and Donkey.
Its really hard to judge them threw a fence, but what I can see is the Grey looks pretty good but hard to really tell threw a fence and with head down, the Buckskin looks like it could use a bit more weight, I cant really tell how its top line looks, but with this horse being a longer back/built horse he could use more weight, the ribs showing is not a bad thing, this horse is long threw the back so the ribs will show a bit more then on a short backed horse. I have a horse that is a bit long in his back too so his ribs do show more.I'll post a picture of him so you can see. Now on the Donkey, lol, its hard to get weight off of them I have 3 and 2 of them are way to fat and they are on pasture only no feed, but number 3 is in his 30's so I have to work on keeping fat on him so I feed him.
Just want to say your horse do look nice and healthy, just a tad more weight on the Buckskin tho..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for your help. I have already started to increase his grain a bit and added a bran that I think will help put some back on him.

I’ve been working hard to get the donkey back to a healthy weight. He was super overweight when I got him. I’m only feeding him like, two handfuls of hay pellets a day. I’d just do pasture but he gets so upset! He sings me a song every time I go to feed. I think he’s slimming down, slowly but surely.

I really appreciate your help. I just wanted to be sure that they weren’t getting too thin.Hopefully adjusting the he buckskins grain intake will even him out a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much for your help. I have already started to increase his grain a bit and added a bran that I think will help put some back on him.

I’ve been working hard to get the donkey back to a healthy weight. He was super overweight when I got him. I’m only feeding him like, two handfuls of hay pellets a day. I’d just do pasture but he gets so upset! He sings me a song every time I go to feed. I think he’s slimming down, slowly but surely.

I really appreciate your help. I just wanted to be sure that they weren’t getting too thin.Hopefully adjusting the he buckskins grain intake will even him out a bit.
Not looking thin. They are good to go

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama
894 Posts

@Mcanna20 Haha ha ha ha, my Donkeys are the same way, when I go up front to feed Herman (old donkey) hes got to let everybody know that the food wagon is coming with his loud really really LOUD Hee-Hawing, so then the other two come running up to their gate to see if they get to get anything, so they get some alfalfa cubes to keep them happy. Herman has his own pasture so I dont have to worry about Delbert and Miss Donkay (donkeys 1 and 2) eating his feed, they have their own pasture, just larger then Hermans pasture.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The buckskin looks like it could use a little, maybe topline? But definitely not unhealthy, just lean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts