The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid question, but I have been thinking about it lately. Everyone considers Arabians and Thoroughbreds to be "hot" breeds. But what about gaited horses?

I never considered them "hot" when I didn't know anything about them, but the more I know and interact with them, I now consider them "hot." And that's really not a bad thing, because I rather like hot horses. But I know of 3 Foxtrotters, 1 Walker, and then I bought a Foxtrotter myself last fall, and all of them have pretty hot, excitable temperments. Is that typical?

My new mare for instance, is a 15 yr old Foxtrotter. She is kind as can be, and I love her to death, but the more I get to know her, the more I am starting to think of her as a big Arabian (my first two horses were Arabians). She is kind, gentle, but has a lot of "go" and is easily excited by lots of things, dogs, birds flying out of bushes, cold windy days, etc. She's excitable going home. When she really gets excited she will stop and blow and snort at what alarms her. I figure that will be a good show when I finally start riding with my friends this summer! (Now I am riding alone).

The Foxtrotters and Walker I know are just very unlike my Mustang and Paint. More like Arabians. What do you think? Do I just know weird Foxtrotters and Walkers, or are they typically that way?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Good Lord No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While some show lines in any breed might have been selected for "presence" your Mark I Mod 0 gaited horse was likely bred to be a "road horse" (or bred from stock that were "road horses"). A good road horse is forward (who wants a laggard critter when you've got to cover some miles?) but always easy to control (who wants to fight a horse for miles?). Even temperment is the hallmark of the "road horse." It's also the hallmark of the vast majority of North American gaited horses.

Guilherme.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've been around several Walkers, and none of them would I consider "hot" in any way. One of the traits of the walkers is to be overall calm level headed horses.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Hmm, maybe you could tell the hotness to Angel..she is always playing catch up to the other horses even at a walk. As a 3 year old I would expect her to be very energetic, but she is a placid serene little cow... She is a TWH BTW!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hot? No, most gaited horses are known for being pretyt level headed. They are fast, but normally I would consider mine more calme than the other breeds around them. I have MFTs, SSHs, and TWHs. I've never thought of them as hot horses. Even when they go they are pretty controllable.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
My TWH is very easy going. He has a great temperament and is a great trail horse. He does do that snorting and blowing when he gets worried about something, but I'm glad he does because that tells me what he needs to walk up to and smell :D He is so used to having to walk up and smell things when he snorts and blows at them he has gotten to where he will start heading in that direction on his own :lol: I do know a girl that did have a TWH that is very "hot" but judging only from interacting with her I have a feeling it is because of the way she has been rode and treated. They would jump on her and ride on her full blast everywhere they took here. It got to the point that every time a riders booty hit the saddle, she took off at a run. Of course she became to much for them to handle and they got rid of her :shock:. I think a lot of them are calm, gentle, intelligent and aim to please.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Definitely not. Somebody told me a couple weeks ago that they thought gaited horses were hot and I was shocked. Most gaited breeds are known for being extremely level-headed and laid-back. Pasos are known to be hot, but other gaited breeds are considered to be some of the most laid-back breeds around!

I have a Paso and he's pretty hot. I have known countless ASBs, several MFTs, a few TWHs, a couple RMHs, and a couple Iceys. They have all been the same way - calm and relaxed, but not at all lazy.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not to much in the Mountain Horse breed...I mean I had one mare, green as a bean, 5 days she was under saddle, gaiting and certified...but we do have some hot horses, and a major factor in that comes of of the 'Tim' line from Tobe, a lot of those horses are pretty hot, I like it personally, but we dont breed anything out of that line, b/c thats not what a lot of people want...

Nate

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gee, I guess that's an almost resounding "no," lol!

It could just be that the horses I've been around maybe aren't the best trained. I mean, my Foxtrotter mare (whom I LOVE, and she has a wonderful disposition) didn't even know how to sidepass or move off my leg when I got her. We've been working on that, and she's doing great! Also, she was used a bit as a rental horse (hard to believe with as much "go" as she has) and I think she is used to riding in groups. She goes out alone, but I think it makes her much more nervous. When I have ridden with other people, she has been pretty calm.

But it's not just my Foxtrotter. My neighbor who has two Foxtrotters and a Walker, and a neighbor next to her who has a Foxtrotter, they are all pretty excitable on the trail. Maybe the just aren't ridden enough. It is quite possible, I ride the most of anyone in my neighborhood. I find it kind of funny, because the Foxtrotter lady doesn't like Arabians, and I have owned two Arabians, and her Foxtrotters are as excitable (or more so) as any Arabian I have owned. As a matter of fact, I had one excitable Arabian, and one calm Arabian, while all the Foxtrotters I have met seemed pretty excitable.

Maybe they ship all the quirky ones out west!

Oh well, we are just the backyard trail riders out here in the woods, so maybe its not a breed characteristic afterall! :oops:

Guilherme.......what is a "Mark I Mod 0 gaited horse?" I've never heard of that term before.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Most?

No, I don't think it's their "natural" temperament.

I do know a few horses that have had not-so-great riders who pretty much just taught them to go-go-go on trail all the time. The end result is a horse that isn't "hot" but very nervous and with no real concept of moving at a relaxed, comfortable flat walk.

My boyfriend's sorrel TWH gelding was heading in that direction, thanks to a previous owner who was always pushing to go faster, and always in the front of the group. If the horse so much as stumbled, the old owner jerked the horse in the mouth and bumped his sides. By the time my boyfriend bought him, the gelding would have these meltdown-moments where he'd completely freeze, and he would work himself into a lather before he was even on the trail.

My boyfriend only rode the gelding as a "back up" when he went on riding/camping trips, to give his primary horse a break. He just didn't enjoy riding that horse because, as he put it, "it always turned into a battle." By some people's definitions, I guess he could have been considered "hot," but it was more of a learned-behavior issue than a temperament one.

Last summer, I ended up taking the horse for a couple of months (because I wanted a project) and put a lot of miles on him, mostly solo. As it turns out, there really isn't a mean or rank bone in his body. . .has a really good mind when he uses it. . .and he's a heck of a great trail horse once he learns how to relax.:D The gelding has since become "my" horse for our camping trips.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a TWH and a MFT. Neither one is hot . The MFT is soooo laid back it scares me Especailly being a 4yro..The walker i got as a 9yro So really don't know his past. He used to get excired at bigger rides and in bigger groups but we have woked on that and he is ok now..He frets at times but I call that his stupid moment..But he is a big lap dog. Been abused so people carrying hiking sticks, fishing poles etc on the trails he tend ro get tight So I think he has been beaten with something that resembles those items... He is a nervous kind of guy more so than hot.. Always on guard almost....but he will stop on the trail to meet people and kids he loves attention and wants to be everyones friend...

·
Registered
957 Posts
No, I wouldnt say that. Most gaited horses were bred to be family horses that were used almost every day of the week for different things. Sure, some have been bred specifically through certain bloodlines to be hotter than others, but I wouldnt say that all or most gaited horses "hot."

I must admit though, that I do like a horse with a little bit of "spice in their step" lol My Curly cross can get pretty hot at times; I would rate her temperment at about a six or a seven. She can calm down with the right rider on her back, but I wouldnt reccomend her for anyone. But then again, I know of a Paso Fino mare that can be ridden by most anyone.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have had the opportunity to work with several different gaited breeds. SSH,RMH,KMH,Gaited Morgan, TWH. They are all different, but for the most part I would agree that they are extremely pleasant and even tempered. I think something that has to be fully realized is that a lot of the gaited breeds are VERY smart, and if not fully trained some will try and get around you,lol. As mentioned by another poster some blood lines are little hotter than others. A good friend has a 5 yr old mare that I ride on occasion(shes in for a major tune up this spring,lol) and she is extremely feisty, but that is more from a lack of consistent training than anything. My gelding at 4 wouldn't blink if you set a bomb off under his nose, lol. The hottest breed I've worked with was the SSH and that wasn't uncontrollable, just very forward.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It depends on lines I would say. Some are supposed to have more show presence, like Guilherme said, but most gaited horses aren't. That being said, I have one (she has show presence), who can be hot if you don't work her every couple days, and the others who are laid back, but can get up and go. :) I do like hot horses better than absolute lazy ones. Thankfully, I don't have absolutely lazy horses. :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Many people are just expecting the headset of a quarter horse so when the gaiteds pop their heads up to gait, they often give the appearance of "hot".
Once you are used to that you start to relax and are soon understanding the
level headedness these breeds possess.

There are some show lines out there in every breed that I would consider hot.
But that is only because they have been trained to go go go to show their breeds ability to gait in the ring.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I think this "hot" reputation came from what they do to "sharpen" the show horses for the ring. I have seen them snapping whips, smack them with shopping bags tied to whips, shoot fire extinguishers are their feet etc etc etc

They want them one step from pure panic just before entering the ring so that they have "flash".

I showed someone's arab in sidesaddle and saw this among the arabs and saddlebreds. I have heard it in other gaited breeds, as well.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Many people are just expecting the headset of a quarter horse so when the gaiteds pop their heads up to gait, they often give the appearance of "hot".
Once you are used to that you start to relax and are soon understanding the
level headedness these breeds possess.
There's a lot of truth to that! When I first bought my TWH, I kept him at a place where all the other horses were QHs (the BO's were heavily involved in Western Pleasure).

They were actually afraid of my TWH because they said he had "wild eyes" and "acted crazy" when being brought to and from the pastures (because his noze wasn't dragging on the gravel). Eventually it got to the point where they would not even let my horse go out to pasture unless I was there to do it myself.

Oh well. . .:roll:

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
well i always thought that TBs and arabs were 'hot' because they were hot blooded.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe "hot" was a poor choice of words.

I guess I kind of meant more excitable or having a lot of "go." Or more likely to go from a relaxed state of mind to an excited state of mind.

I don't mean to offend any gaited horse owners. I have one now myself now- yay!!! :)

I guess it just seems like the ones I have known have not tended to be very calm, at least not a lot of the time. Maybe that is the term I am looking for....the handful of Foxtrotters (and one Walker) I know can go from calm to not-so-calm in the blink of an eye. So I was just curious if that was a breed characteristic. Apparently not, lol!

I think my girl is getting more relaxed all the time, but she is still a "new" horse and we are still getting to know each other. Because we have had a very wet winter, I didn't get as much riding in as I would like, especially with a horse I am still getting to know. Yesterday for example, was the first time I have ridden her in a week due to the snow and mud. And she did GREAT. But she is a bit more nervous and worried than my other trail horse. She jumps at sparrows flying out of trees and ribbons tied to fences. But she has a great mind and mostly startles in place. :lol:

The head carriage doesn't bother me, because I had Arabians and they had higher head carriage than the stock breeds I have now. I like high head carriage as long as the horse breaks at the poll and is not star-gazing.

More than my Foxtrotter, I guess I was thinking of all the folks I ride with with Foxtrotters. One feeds hers "calm-n-cool," or something like that. And another horse is always out walking everyone else, which wouldn't bother me except he likes to stay behind and tell his horse "easy, easy, easy" the whole ride, which makes ME nervous!

And before I got my own Foxtrotter, I was in love with a nieghbor's gelding. He is AWESOME but he can also be a spaz sometimes. He gets all nervous and hyper if the other horses get to far ahead of him. He pretty much has to stick to the rest of the group like glue or he becomes unglued. And then there is the Foxtrotter mare I know who is hyper and throws nasty looks to any horse that gets near her. But to give her the benefit of the doubt, the horse is only ridden about 3 times a year.

So that is where I am coming from. No offense meant to anyone. I LOVE my Foxtrotter. I can't wait for summer when I can really rider her consistently!

What's funny, is my Mustang is perfectly calm (and slow) out on the trails. He's the best horse I have ever owned. But he has no excess "go" at all. Everyone else's horses can be chomping at the bit and my guy will be dragging along on a totally loose rein. So the reason I wanted a gaited horse was to keep up with everyone else on gaited horses, especially when they are all excited and wanting to "go." So here I have this near perfect horse and I can't be happy with him because I can't keep up! How weird is that??? And they were always pushing me to push HIM. Which takes the fun out of my ride. It is WORK to always have to be pushing your slow horse along to keep up. :evil:

So now I am happy because I will have a horse for stock horse rides, and a horse for gaited rides.

Here's a question for you all. The reason I could never keep up is my Mustang has a slow walk, and the gaited horses walk VERY fast. And their owner's encourage it. Do you guys encourage that "power walk?" I mean, actually push the horse to keep doing it? The folks I ride with are very into pushing that power walk. They won't let their horses lag at all!

Me, I relax out on the trail and don't care too much about the speed of the walk. If the gaited horses were actually gaiting, my Mustang could keep up, because he could trot, but we have no gear equal to the power walk. We end up walking and trotting, walking and trotting, and then I have to worry if that is going to excite the horses in front of us. :roll:

So anyway, I have a Foxtrotter now and can (hopefully) match the walk of everyone else's gaited horses. But what is it about always pushing them to walk even FASTER?

I guess this has turned into a mini rant, lol!

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
No way!

Most gaited horses are meant for a pleasure ride, and its not really pleasureable to be reining in a hot horse all the time. They are good ad level headed almost all the time xD

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.