The Horse Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I always brush before a ride, except in winter. But when it gets cold we have group "grooming" sessions where we just go into the pasture to get their itchy spots. There's nothing to get dirty with in winter, so we usually just ensure the hooves are clean and head out.

In summer, I always brush before a ride, I want to make sure there's absolutely no potential dirt or dust to cause irritation. We're also usually muddy, so naturally, the horses are almost always dirty. If they're sweaty when we get home on a hot day, I hose them down. Otherwise I might run a quick dandy over them to get any itchy spots and pick hooves.

·
Banned
593 Posts
yep. full groom before then just a soft brush down after. i dont like their coat to stay all crimpled up from sweat. plus its like a little reward for them. and i always do my hooves before and after.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I sort of do. I pick the hooves and take a medium brush and just smooth out the fur, and go over sweaty spots a few times. Once he's nice and dry i just let him be. I groom very thoroughly before i ride.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I groom before and after I ride.
If my horse is repulsively dirty [which he usually is, he's a grey] I groom him regularly before my ride, and when I get off I pick his feet, brush the saddle area, brush out his mane tail and forelock once more, then if he's really dirty I'll rub him off with cowboy magic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I usually dont, if they are sweaty then i'll wash them down, brush, and dry them off, and check their hooves always, incase of stones, which will hurt them if they are lodged in a awkward place. But except if they are caked in mud or sweaty, which attracts flies, or if they are moulting, just get rid of most of the loose hair, but apart from that, it doesnt matter that much. :) x

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
seeing this thread always makes me think of how much i dislike grooming haha

·
Registered
868 Posts
In the summer I usually rinse him off if he's sweaty. In winter I do a quick brush down cuz if I don't he rolls but if I hit his itchy spots he's fine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I always groom before and after. Keeps the coat healthy and shiny and I like to take the time to see how they are feeling before the ride and give them a nice thank you after. It also gives me a chance to check for any abnormalities and get rid of itchy spots that could cause them to rub. Brushing is my bonding time :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I groom before my ride. After my ride I either groom or use a hose, depending on how sweaty the horse is. In the winter, they get walked out longer and then brushed off so that there are no saddle/girth/bridle marks on their coat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Me and my best friend Chloe are notorious around our barn for spending a looong time in the cross ties and brushing our horses till its like, nighttime lol.

I find that it is such a wonderful time to bond with my boy after or before a ride; last winter I wouldn't really have had to brush him since there was like five feet of snow.. its been really rainy and gross this winter so its been a job keeping him really clean. He also has thrush so I make sure his feet have been picked out before and after I ride, cleaned and whatever else I need to do. Like so many other people have said, its a great way to find sores or bumps that you might not otherwise see...

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I groom my horse before and after I ride. I especially like to make sure there is nothing in her hooves afterwards since I ride on the road. You never know what could end up in there.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I always groom before and after a ride too. My gelding in particular seems to know he's mostly white and likes to get gross. Their winter coats are so fluffy they sometimes get cockleburrs in their coats as well as the manes and tails so I have to be pretty thorough. We ride with boots so the feet get picked too.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i dont accualy own a horse (hopefuly getting one next year:lol:) but at all of my lessons we groom before and after we ride.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Always before and after I ride...and everyday in between. If it's hot out, I hose them off. If it's cold, I walk them out, brush them before they go in their stall, feed, then brush out again just to be sure I have gotten all of the salty sweat out. I hate the way the hair bunches up. With the snow and mud here, I haven't ridden in a couple of weeks, so I groom her after I get done with all the other barn chores. It's great bonding time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I usually groom before and after. If they are sweaty I walk them around in the cooler for awhile. After they are all cool I usually use a dandy brush to brush her and pick the hooves out. Picking the hooves is always something I do before and after riding.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Grooming a horse is like therapy for me. I could groom horses all day.

I always groom thoroughly before a ride. I go over them with one of those super soft currycombs, then a light brush with a body brush, and pick out their feet. Unless they're sweaty, in which case, when it's warm enough I just hose them down, get the excess water off with a sweat scraper, and then turn them out to dry in the sun. If I can't turn them out, I rub them with a towel and walk them until they're dry, because apparently, to horses, being wet + having new fluffy white shavings in their stall calls for a roll. In the winter, if they're sweaty, I throw a fleece cooler over them when I'm cooling them out, and leave it on until I have removed all their tack, and completely dried them.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts