The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently starting riding my horse in a curb again. I have an Argentine, but I don't like it. (Too much bit, because of the broken mount piece. Lots of pressure points. I'd rather spare my horse's tounge from the nut cracker action in combination with pole/chin pressure.)

I asked a friend what they thought I should get. They loaned me with Myler curb to try out. It's got a bit of a port (I don't know anything about Western bits, so I cannot say whether that's a good or bad thing), but I like how the sides move independantly from the middle joint. Sometime's my horse has flights of fancy where she forgets to neck rein, so I have to correct her with a direct rein.

Myler Bit Stainless Steel HBT Shank

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
The only problem with that one, Allison, is that it's just not as well finished or balanced. The cheaper price is nice, but I think I'd still have to go with a Myler and pay quadruple (even if going with a different model), just to know I'm getting quality.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
The Argentine bit with the jointed mouth piece is often seen as a transition bit between snaffle and curb. Because of the joint, horses often find this more comfortable than a solid mouthpiece. It's your hands that decide how wicked or gentle a bit can be.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I like the Myler MB 33 so much that I have three. Two are 7in shanks and one is a 5. I also have the 43LP which is a higher port.

What is hard to tell from the photo is that myler's have a natural curve over the tongue which is something many cheaper bits rely on the joint to provide.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
For the horses I have now, I think they would prefer the 1st Myler bit.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the replies!

I tried the bit today and Baby Girl adored it. She was incredibly responsive to the lightest touch of the rein. I never once had to pull back hard enough activate the curb chain, even when going from a hand gallop to a stop. I lifted my pinky and she responded. She backed straight and beautiful -- no gaping mouth for once. Very quiet.

I'm surprised, honestly. I thought there would be a "learning curve". The high port we were so worried about removed a lot tongue pressure. I thought the absense of that pressure point would confuse her, but nope! I think she likes having her tongue free. She was a happy pony.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.