The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
If this is in the wrong place I don't mind if it is moved.....
So here goes,hear me out......

I am 40 yrs old.
I rode alot when I was younger but as I got older life got in the way and I have not been constantly riding for a good 3-4 years probably longer.....
After a bad fall 2 yrs ago where I broke my arm I have ridden 3 horses....
I decided it's time to get back to regular riding again and am looking for a horse to loan.
I had one for 3 weeks but it didn't work out ...she was a 16.2 Irish draught, I decided she was too much horse for me and I needed something smaller.
All my horsey friends keep telling me I need a safe sensible plod of a cob,now so did I until today.....
I went to see one today close to me,he is an Anglo-Arab....he is 17yrs old and 15.1hh,such a sweet boy.
I did not ride him because the weather was wild....but after 10 minutes of being there it brightened up and stopped raining so the owner suggested we take him for a walk round the block...he was such a sweetheart and very well behaved.
She told me about him,very honestly and I believe she was being honest.
I told her about my experiences and that I hadn't ridden properly in a few years,thinking that she's not going to want me anywhere near this horse lol....but she actually suprised me by saying that my friends are daft for making me believe that I can only ever ride a plod and why can't I ride something different?

Am I silly thinking that getting this horse is a good idea?
I'm not the bravest rider and I told her this too.....
Could she be spinning me a yarn to get me to take him on loan or is there sense in what she is saying?
My daughter agrees with her and thinks it's a good idea because we can grow and bond together. Rather than just being stuck in a cycle with a plod along cob.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
There are a lot of horses in between too scary to ride and never gets out of a plod. Whether this particular horse is a good idea is difficult to tell, since you have only ridden him very briefly at a walk, on familiar ground, and he has not had a PPE -- very important with a senior horse. You aren't crazy for wanting a fun ride, but you are if you impulse-buy a horse without a thorough test. Since you are worried about being overhorsed, have a trainer you trust ride him too -- you should pay for this. Take him on a hack by himself. Put him through all his paces.

And remember there are many, many horses out there.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I think you need to get another ride on him, and this time do whatever you'd plan on doing with him. If you want to canter on trails, canter him on trails. If you want to do circles in an arena, do circles in an arena.

You don't have enough information about this horse to make a decision right now.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Safe, sensible horses come in all different packages :wink: Don't let the breed scare you off.

Can you go back and ride the horse again before you decide if you want to go ahead with the loan?
Worst case, you loan him and realize he is not what you want/need...

And no, you are not crazy thinking about NOT settling for a plod!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Safe, sensible horses come in all different packages :wink: Don't let the breed scare you off.

Can you go back and ride the horse again before you decide if you want to go ahead with the loan?
Worst case, you loan him and realize he is not what you want/need...

And no, you are not crazy thinking about NOT settling for a plod!
Thanks lol...yeah I am going back on Wednesday and Friday,then the owner said if I want to take him on trial for a month or so I can....i am going to lunge him and my daughter is going to ride him first for me and we can take it from there.
I am fully expecting him to be on edge for a week or two when I move him to my yard just until he gets used to a big livery yard,he is on a private yard atm with only 3 other horses.my yard has 50+ horses and tractors so a big change for him.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Yes, take him on a trial. Do it with your eyes wide open.

I never thought I'd buy my 10 year old a hot Arab, but here we are, 5 years later, and he's the best thing that ever happened to her horse-wise. He is a saint. Hot, forward, but absolutely unflappable and will do anything like a perfect gentleman. At shows, I can sit there loosely holding his lead and he just stands there and dozes until it's his turn.

Then I bought myself a 6 year old barely started Appy. Well, to be fair, he was a friend's horse and she offered him to me for 6 months so I could decide whether I want to buy him. Who says no to that? lol Two years later, he's the best thing that has ever happened to me in the horse world.

You just never know. But do ride him in that month. A lot. Maybe not the first couple of days, and sure, let your daughter get on him first, and in new situations, but you need to know before the month runs out. Put him in situations you will want to be in with him later.

As everyone has said, there are lots of horse that fall between old plod and hot bundle of nerves about to explode... you do NOT need another riding accident!

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the horse.
If your gut feeling is the owner is being completely honest about the animal...
This horse may be the catalyst to get you astride, work on reagining some of your lost bravado and guts you lost from a bad fall and serious injury.
You could be being presented with a babysitter horse who will take care of you till you are ready to take more control and be more assertive a rider and partner in your horse adventures.
I do agree that you don't need size either when your confidence is in the basement right now...
I remember your height...
I'm a foot and a half taller than you, have had 16.3 OTTB {not a cob} but a big horse is a big horse and a lot of motion to deal with when confidence is tanked...
A smaller horse, a settled dispostion and a "plod" sound about perfect to me...as yo awaken that confidence ask more of the horse or not...
If the horse once you want to move forward in spunk not meet that demand, then find another horse with what you search for.
But to return to riding and regain your confidence and riding legs on a horse like this one, where you are not over-mounted or over-faced sounds a wonderful place to start to me.
I would take the horse and see where he is and where you are...give it a month.
If you like him, there he is.
If he isn't right for you then you've lost nothing but a few days of time...return him and look again. But...but you will have been astride another horse, regained a bit more confidence in what you can do, are capable of doing and now know you want more challenge or a different level or mindset of challenge or no challenge at all...
I say go for it...
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I say take him under the trial. Worst case scenario is that he is not the horse for you and you bring him back to his home. I don't think it's crazy at all. If he seems quiet enough for you then try him.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the horse.
If your gut feeling is the owner is being completely honest about the animal...
This horse may be the catalyst to get you astride, work on reagining some of your lost bravado and guts you lost from a bad fall and serious injury.
You could be being presented with a babysitter horse who will take care of you till you are ready to take more control and be more assertive a rider and partner in your horse adventures.
I do agree that you don't need size either when your confidence is in the basement right now...
I remember your height...
I'm a foot and a half taller than you, have had 16.3 OTTB {not a cob} but a big horse is a big horse and a lot of motion to deal with when confidence is tanked...
A smaller horse, a settled dispostion and a "plod" sound about perfect to me...as yo awaken that confidence ask more of the horse or not...
If the horse once you want to move forward in spunk not meet that demand, then find another horse with what you search for.
But to return to riding and regain your confidence and riding legs on a horse like this one, where you are not over-mounted or over-faced sounds a wonderful place to start to me.
I would take the horse and see where he is and where you are...give it a month.
If you like him, there he is.
If he isn't right for you then you've lost nothing but a few days of time...return him and look again. But...but you will have been astride another horse, regained a bit more confidence in what you can do, are capable of doing and now know you want more challenge or a different level or mindset of challenge or no challenge at all...
I say go for it...
:runninghorse2:...
Thanks HLG I must admit before my accident I loved riding big horses,the bigger the better but now i think something a little smaller is better for me right now.
Another thing that she said which she didn't have to was that he hasn't been ridden for quite a while as she can't ride anymore due to medical reasons which is why she is looking for a loan home for him because he is bored and needs a job to do,she assured me that he is the kind of horse you can leave for months and get right back on like he was ridden yesterday. He can spook but he's not a runner he plants himself and looks.

I doubt myself confidence sometimes and I don't want to be nervous riding him incase my nervousness is transferred to him.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
If you take him on trial and I think that is a good suggestion, that way you can ride him and see how he behaves in new surroundings before making a commitment of buying.
Be sure to take him out alone during your trial and be sure that he is ok with that as some horses can really act up when asked to hack out alone. If he is not good with that then you know you might have problems with him unless you can always ride with a companion. In your trial period do all the stuff that you want a horse to do while you can still change your mind if he doesn't measure up.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
My first and second horses were purebred Arabians and took very good care of me. I assume that's why he gives you second thoughts, his breeding?

If you like the looks of him (not intimidated or anything) try him out on trial. That's the best way to buy a horse, in my opinion. Try him out in every scenario you might want to do with him if he were yours, and then see what you think.

I got a Mustang on a 2 week trial once, I tried him out in everything I could think of......trail riding with friends, trail riding by himself, trailered him out, even cantered him though I was short on confidence. I couldn't find a thing wrong him him so I bought him and he was one of the best horses I've ever had. I knew after only a week I wanted him. :cool:

So anyway, you don't always get a chance to do a trial. That's the best way to see if it's a good horse for you. :smile:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I just got back from seeing him again,didn't go according to plan....I tacked him up he was fine,I lunged him...also fine...until he stood on a big stone in the sand paddock and went lame in trot :(,so my daughter couldn't ride him either...not anybody's fault just one of those bad timing things.
I took him for a short walk on foot on my own to see what he was like without his mum there....he was great just had a spook at 2 noisy barking dogs and a horse eating white wooden box outside somebody's drive lol...all he did was plant himself and snort at them.
His owner is going to keep an eye on him for a few days and if he is sound on Sunday we are going to ride him and I will make my decision then.
She also said that he hadn't been ridden for the best part of a year,so Sunday will be a good test of his true character:)

He does seem to be a sweet boy but I will know better on Sunday xx

·
Registered
17,060 Posts
I would definitely go for the trial & see what happens. You don't have anything to lose. :) I'm sorry he ended up being lame, wonder if there's anything going on there or he could've just done something in the pasture/could be a stone bruise. :sad: Poor guy!

Hopefully it works out though, & if not...you won't ever have to ask yourself 'what if'! I'm also curious for an update.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We need an update! Did you get him?

As an aside, when I was trialling that gorgeous 11 YO TB that had the back issues such that I couldn't ride him at the canter (saddle fit or not comofrtable gait for him)...

One of my favourite trainers said: "He's a Ferrarai! You need a JETTA!"
Hi no not in the end,I think his lameness issues were an ongoing problem, he has since been sold as a companion horse.
But I have a fantastic horse on permanent loan called Bobby...I have done a post about him...its called everybody meet Bobby xxx

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would definitely go for the trial & see what happens. You don't have anything to lose. :) I'm sorry he ended up being lame, wonder if there's anything going on there or he could've just done something in the pasture/could be a stone bruise. :sad: Poor guy!

Hopefully it works out though, & if not...you won't ever have to ask yourself 'what if'! I'm also curious for an update.
No I didn't get him,he had lameness issues and has since been sold as a companion horse,I do however now have a fantastic horse on permanent loan called Bobby xxxx

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
My Anglo was THE most wonderful horse. He didn't take kindly to arrogance and I was extremely arrogant so first he cut me down a few pegs (*cough* a lot of them) and then he built me back up while teaching me the skills I needed to actually be as good a rider as I thought I was. I learned more from that horse than I have from any coach I've ever had.

He absolutely adjusted to his rider. I could put a 3 year old kid on him and he treated her like she was made of spun glass, and for me he could be a handful. He took care of several nervous friends, but challenged my experienced friends. I loved that horse and I'd have another one of him in a heartbeat.

·
Super Moderator
11,257 Posts
Hoping things work out spectacularly with Bobby!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts