The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you wear a helmet/riding hat while riding? At our yard we have to wear a hat while mounted.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yep. We aren't required to, but I do about 99% of the time. There was that random moment the other day that I forgot to put it on for a 5 minute jump back in the saddle to work on something moment. I am finally getting used to the way it feels now and don't notice it as much. :)

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I have one on 100% times after my saddle broke and I was thrown off the horse.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I don't, and never have, never having been made too when I was a kid, growing up on the "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger theory".
If I was raised to wear a helmet, I probably would but now it's something that doesn't even cross my mind, and I've had some pretty intense wrecks.
I should, but I don't.

·
Premium Member
12,723 Posts
Mostly. Depends on the horse & where I'm going and what I'm doing.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
No I don't. I actually bought one but, just never could get used to it. It actually interfered with my riding because it felt so unnatural and was always messing with it!

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Yes. 100% of the time now.
I rode western for 10 years and never wore one. Wasn't made to made one as a kid either and rode more places then any other kid I knew.
After I switched to english and got used to wearing it, I don't even think to not wear one now. It is every bit the part of things just like boots.
I like my noggin the way it is.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Like so many from my generation, I never wore one, or gave it a consideration. That changed after purchasing my horses and bringing them home. I ride alone, out on the trail, and hubby made me promise to always wear one. Felt strange at first, but now it feels strange without one. Just part of the equipment I guess. :wink:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I usually don't wear one riding around at home. I did wear it not too long ago when riding at home because she hasn't run in a long time and I didn't know how she was going to react.

I always wear one when showing, required or not.

·
Registered
495 Posts
After a nasty accident a few years ago where I landed headfirst into a granite wall which cracked my helmet down the middle (let alone what it might've done to my head!) and I spent several days in hospital, I would never ride without one. Accidents happen, and as I owe my life to one I won't risk being without one!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
36 years of riding and have only ridden twice without one. One was due to the fact that another girls was asking me why I was wearing a helmet...that peer pressure thing, and the second time was a month or so back when I got distracted and just plain forgot to put it on...immediately got off once I realized, amazing how funny it feels not to wear one when you are so used to it. I too have had a fall or two where my helmet saved my head, one fall that actually shattered the colored shell on the back of the helmet..(it was a Troxel).

Regardless, at our barn anyone who is mounted is required to wear a helmet.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts